View Single Post
Old 30th January 2023, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict

Monster a-Go Go. Bill Rebane. 1965.

Well what do I do with this? This apparently has a rep for being one of the worst movies ever. I actually didn't think it that awful, while it really really isn't good either. Basically a space capsule crash lands back on earth and the astronaut on board disappears. Cue attacks by a strange radioactive 10ft tall giant ugly fella. Now while not massively inventive, its not a bad premise, certainly one that has worked well elsewhere. The basic problem seems to be the simple lack of any real excitement or mystery or...well anything. Here's what I think happened. One night old Bill, Bill Rebane that is, already a man with cinematic aspirations, wandered into his local fleapit just off main street Wisconsin. The film showing was Val Guests brilliant The Quatermass Experiment. A groundbreaking sci-fi shocker from Hammer films. Rebane was inspired. The rest is history as they say.
Except...that fateful night in the late 1950s. Rebane hadn't wandered into that local movie house entirely sober. In fact he'd happened to have previously imbibed about 9 cans of Kestrel Super. He went on to cobble together this film based on the vaguest recollections he could muster and simply fill it out with people speaking. Speaking anything. Get an actress to scream occasionally and film a reasonably tall ugly bloke from below in order to enhance the appearance of height and Bob's your uncle.
I've seen bad films. I like bad films of the so good they're bad variety. Monster a-Go Go isn't that. It's just dull, and pointless. The one and only plus point I'd give it is the sudden, abrupt and actually intriguing ending. Says something that the best bit of the film is a mystery never answered because the film decided to end first.
Not recommended. Although I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Last edited by J Harker; 30th January 2023 at 10:19 PM.