View Single Post
Old 16th February 2023, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE DEVILS – I bet fans getting into horror for the first time these days can’t believe what they used to get away with. Not much orgy or blood in evidence, but some shes, some arguable devils and plenty of sheer f@cking awfulness. I’m still into it. The lingo is seventies but the syntax is pure stilted fifties B movie; a bad film and no mistake, however look beyond the cheap laughs and there’s a weird atmosphere oozing through, quite gothicy and shadowy, and all the hippie-era trappings, dated grooviness but also proper tripped out electronics. From back-alley auteur Ted V Mikels.

IMPETIGORE – A woman travels to the village of her childhood to uncover the truth behind a family curse – she finds skinless babies and more. A good movie that doesn’t fully come off; director Joko Anwar knows how to do atmosphere and floods the proceedings with eerie but enticing visuals, but, and I’m simply joining in with the chorus here, there are too many expository wrong turns that bog it down in the latter half (and in my opinion quite a screechy ending – nothing kills mystery like melodrama). Don’t quite get the adulation from some quarters, but worth checking out all the same.