View Single Post
Old 20th February 2023, 02:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I definitely saw this at the cinema, Mr.B. At the time it was of great interest because it was i think Van Damme's first work with a Hong Kong director in Ringo Lam and Lam's first American film as a director as he was seemingly breaking out ala John Woo into Hollywood.

That action sequence and car chase on the streets of Nice was superb at the time and we all thought it was the best we'd seen... then A couple of years later Ronin came along.

I'm pretty sure his subsequent films with Hong Kong directors also had cinema releases too.

Edit - Yeah just checked. Even Universal Soldier The Return had cinema releases. It was Replicant in 2001 that was his first direct to dvd film. Typical seeing as it's not long ago i bought this on Blu.

Edit 2 - Interesting that The Expendables 2 was Van Damme's first wide cinema release in the States since Universal Soldier The Return in 1999. A 13 year gap.

I learn something new every day, not all of it useful i admit.
Thanks for the update Dem, Universal Soldier: The Return by all means isn't perfect and Bill Goldberg trying to act and given most of the cheesiest dialogue is a bit of a laugh but its one I do enjoy. Replicant was a decent movie and good teaming of JCVD and Michael Rooker. As for Ronin I definitely need to re-watch that film.