View Single Post
Old 21st February 2023, 07:42 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I gave up watching The Prisoner (1969) after seven and a half episodes.

Yes, it's original, pretty cool and those suffocating watchdog 'balls' are brilliant and it's also set in the lovely Portmeirion which gives it a defined originality but the stories are so dull and repetitive.

Pretty much every episode has begun with our prisoner #6 (Patrick McGoohan) either drugged, brain washed or mind probed and the fact he's the only actor to appear in more than one episode really doesn't help either. In fact it was quite annoying that #2 changed actor every single episode.

All this coming after a month long binge of all three series of Terry Nation's Survivors (1975-77) during January. Now that was excellent, gripping cult television about what happens to Britain following an apocalyptic plague pandemic across the globe. Ian McCulloch, Denis Lill and John Abineri excel in this. The ninth episode titled Law and Order is a gut wrenching piece of television.

I doubt i could have watched Survivors in the summer of 2020.
When I was in my teens my mother would always talk about the Prisoner that no matter how many times they showed it on TV she never ever got to see the ending so I was fascinated to see this show. Years ago I started collecting the monthly or maybe bi weekly collection they released an episode and a collector's book thing but like you I did lose interest after a while and through the power of the internet I was able to tell my mother what happened in the end putting her suffering to rest after all the years