View Single Post
Old 13th March 2023, 06:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Spider-Man 3 (2007)

The final film in the Sam Raimi directed trilogy and a bit of a departure in tone as Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) aka Spider-man, now at ease with his superhero status is part taken over by an alien symbiote which unleashes the darkness in the web slinger.

What follows in this two hour twenty minute marathon is a look at the dark side of Spidey and of Peter Parker too. His cockiness at the hero worship, his neglect of girlfriend Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) and a vendetta of vengeance against one of three villains Raimi throws at us.

Visually this is excellent with a clutch of exciting set pieces amid the tale of despair for Parker, which needs to be and is prolonged in order for his redemption during the final half hour to be so satisfying. However the cluttered plot strands in between don't help and make the middle third a little unfocused.

Look out for Bruce Campbell doing his thing as a French maitre-d... I say look out. You really can't miss him.
The birth of The Sandman always sticks out as one of the strongest bit of this film for me. Even though it's CGI, and relatively early CGI at that, I think it's beautifully put together. As the sand slowly attempts to form a solid shape before collapsing, always makes me think of a baby's first steps. It's a shame the film as a whole is a bit of a mess.