View Single Post
Old 13th March 2023, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict

Friday the 13th. Sean S.Cunningham. 1980.

The first installment of the iconic slasher franchise. Years after a number of brutal murders at a summer camp a group of young new counsellors attempt to reopen the place. Everyone knows the story here and have probably watched it numerous times. I've actually only seen it two, maybe three times. First recorded off sky movies back in the late 90s. I thought it was ok nothing special.
The blu-ray shines new light on this classic with a beautiful transfer that really amps up this films atmosphere, felt like I was in the woods around Camp Crystal Lake watching events unfold.
The characters are all quite likeable, something that helps no end. I always think slashers sink or float based on the characters, if they're all unlikeable then why do I care what happens.
Also the fact that the franchise's legendary villain is here more of a plot mechanic than an actual character means the film at times ironically plays more like a Hitchcockian mystery or an American giallo than your traditional slasher.
I really enjoyed this rewatch and put the second film on only a few days later. Thoughts to follow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Last edited by J Harker; 13th March 2023 at 08:51 PM.