View Single Post
Old 8th April 2023, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Voices. 1973.

A woman recently released from a asylum is taken to a countryside manor by her husband and begins to think they are not alone.

Think this movie inspired two other movies, David Hemmings and Gayle Hunnicut play the couple who on a boating trip with their son, rather look after him they rather have a boat bunk up and as you can imagine he drowns. Wracked with guilt Hunnicut attempts suicide and several months later her dear husband takes her to a family owned manor, this part I thought may have inspired Lars Von Tier's Antichrist, hubby taking a wife away to a secluded area.

I got no idea if this was a theatrical or a T.V. movie but does have that look of being something made for a horror t.v. episode. Once inside after battling through a heavy fog, the voices begin to start. The main house does have the atmosphere and dark gothic appeal but towards the end more actors appear and then we get the big twist that feels like it was inspired a 2001 movie (sorry not going to spoil what film it is).

Hemmings and Hunnicut were married and reportedly had marital problems during the making of this which helped build up the reactions to their characters, but the pacing does go steady and slow through out the 90 minutes of this. There is no jump scares but does rely on atmosphere and is she hearing the voices, is the house haunted or the usual thing, husband driving the wife insane. I don't think I can watch this one over and over but may come back to it at some point.

Attachment 245626
I take it you have the Indicator release?

It's the best it'll ever look due to it being shot on video for all the interior work whilst the outdoor shooting which does look better was done on film.

Having said that, Doctor Who was also shot on video in the studio and looks a hell of a lot better than this does.