View Single Post
Old 8th April 2023, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paramount wanted something to jump on the star wars bandwagon so they brought back star trek to the big screen. While star wars was a out and out space opera this is lot slower paced and serious . This is film that has growing on me over the years , used to think it was slow and boring hence why it got the nick name the slow motion picture but as I've growing older I've appreciated it more.

The 4k release is one of the most stunning I've seen and a lot of work has gone into too doing the old effects .

A faster paced film was wanted after the motion picture , which is what we get as the action starts from the opening . Kirk has too deal with a old enemy who has stolen a secret project and his out for revenge on Kirk. Most famous for the death of Spock that still brings a lump to my thorat . The last act of the movie plays out like a WW2 submarine movie.

Paul Newman is sentenced too a chain gang after brutally beheading a number of parking meters.

Luke butts head with the prisoners and guards but soon wins his fallow inmates over as the film goes on and he won't conform to the prison rules and let them break him he becomes some what a of a hero to the other prisoners . The film is ripe with relegous symbolism with Luke betrayed as Christ like figure at times . Excellent well acted and directed , Newman is joined by the likes of Dennis hopper , Wayne Rogers , harry dean stanton and big George Kennedy.

Amazing why has it taking me so long to watch this, if thier is a perfect film , then this is it. Everything thing from acting to directing and everything in-between is just amazing and Bogie another amazing performance as cynical Rick who deep down has a heart of gold. Just like in the film , I think this is the begining of a beautiful friendship between me and this movie. This could well be my favourite movie of all time now.

Now watching

Tomorrow I'll be watching

Singing in the rain
Star trek the voyage home
Ben Hur ( which I will watch over two days)

After watching cool hand Luke and Casablanca I've come to the conclusion we don't have any modern actors today of the same calibre of these two icons