View Single Post
Old 13th April 2023, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

I can't remember a thing about the first Wonder Woman movie but i can say that second time around i again enjoyed this knockabout romp pitching Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) into a world of spandex and Duran Duran.

Being set in the mid 80's the whole thing felt more grounded in reality than the majority of superhero movies (Looking at you, in fact staring intently at you here, Marvel) and the fact we go for long stretches without any superhero action (Wonder Woman appears once for a brief action sequence at a shopping mall and that's it for the first hour and twenty minutes) helps no end, giving Gadot more to do than simply look good as we get a satisfying revival of Chris Pine's Steve Trevor character. It also means when the set pieces come they are actually enjoyably thrilling, be it scrapping in the White House with the fun Cheetah (An enjoyable performance from Kristen Wiig) or a Raiders of the Lost Ark style road chase.

Plus there's a cameo from the original (and best) Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, during the end credits.

The main plot about Maxwell Lord, a shady business man who becomes a kind of wish master thanks to an ancient rock is entertaining if fairly standard stuff but my mind wandered during Wonder Woman's big speech to him at the death.

As far as superhero films go i like Wonder Woman 1984. Not many people do though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wonder_Woman_1984-686758013-large.jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)