View Single Post
Old 10th May 2023, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Silencers (1966)

Starring Dean Martin as Matt Helm, glamour photographer by day retired secret agent by night and quickly coerced back into his old ways by his former boss from spy network ICE (Intelligence and Counter Espionage) to thwart a new threat from the villainous organization Big O and it's nefarious leader Tung-Tze (Victor Buono).

Mike Myers and his Austin Powers films didn't spoof James Bond, they spoofed this. The four film Matt Helm series. However although Myers Dr. Evil super villain sounds exactly like Buono in this the rest of the film is so difficult to spoof because nothing the Powers films do is actually as bonkers as The Silencers. From Big O's secret cave hideout to Helm's bed which manoeuvres him not only round in circles but also along the floor before tipping him into a huge soapy bath where his secretary Miss Kravezit is waiting to take a message.

Until last night i'd never seen a Matt Helm film and i thoroughly enjoyed The Silencers. Martin sends himself up constantly by having Helm listen to Martin crooning all the time, whilst saying "This fella can't sing" (Frank Sinatra) when his mate comes on the radio quickly changing the song to more Martin balladry.

The plot involving Big O's intention of dropping a nuclear bomb on new Mexico is secondary to the hi-jinx Helm and sexy but clumsy Gail Hendricks (Stella Stevens) get up to but it does come into it's own during the final act.

It's not purely a piss take though. The Silencers is a well made film with a fine score from Elmer Bernstein as well as songs from Martin and Sinatra, whilst Phil Karlson's careful direction means we aren't over stuffed with either comedy or spy genre techno babble.

The big question is do i watch the other three in The Matt Helm Lounge dvd set straight away or leave some breathing room between them in case the joke wears thin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Silencers_poster.jpg (20.6 KB, 4 views)