View Single Post
Old 18th May 2023, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict

Plane. Jean-François Richet. 2023.

When an airline executive insists veteran pilot Brodie Torrance take his commercial airliner from Singapore to the US via some seriously dodgy weather the craft is hit by lightning and forced to make an emergency landing in a lawless war torn island in the Philippines. It soon becomes apparent that the actual landing was only the beginning of Captain Torrance's problems as the area is rules over by guerrillas and gangs with no police or military whatsoever. Being the man's man he is Captain Torrance sets off into the surrounding jungle looking for help or a way to contact the authorities. Oh yeah, their just happens to be a convict on board the flight. A killer being extradited to the States for murder.
This film reminded me of a few others. It certainly isn't shy of nicking plot ideas. There's a bit of Escape From New York here, a slice of Vin Diesel's Pitch Black too.
I like Gérard the Butler, can't think of a film he's made I didn't enjoy on some level. He's an extremely charismatic performer and capable of lifting a role higher than it may have got otherwise. His turn here as airline pilot Brodie Torrance is typical of his output, I was willing to believe...even if I didn't.
Mike Colter on the other hand is merely ok as convict Louis Gaspare. A character that feels almost written in after the fact to make things more interesting. I've only seen Colter as Marvel character Luke Cage, a series which to be honest I lost interest in. Twice. I've never gone back either.
The action scenes are a bit all over the shop here. A few are quite gritty, there's no fancy choreography going on here, it's two blokes trying to make one another die, simple as that. Others are rather corny but I can forgive them.
Tony Goldwyn amuses as the man called in to tidy up Trailblazer Airlines mess. In some ways my favourite character. No hidden agendas, no concern for company policy. Save lives at any cost while swearing at the penny pinching idiots responsible. Quite a refreshing character in such a film.
I enjoyed Plane. Its the kind of engaging but brainless entertainment we don't get much of anymore.

Last edited by J Harker; 19th May 2023 at 08:18 AM.