View Single Post
Old 29th June 2023, 09:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Coincidentally, I just finished the Thriller set. It took me 2 years to get through.

Also a mixed bag. It would have benefitted from some stronger 70s style sex and violence but was clearly made with the American market in mind, with an American guest star or a UK actor doing a passable mid-Atlantic accent each week.

I remember watching these with my mother usually on a Saturday night whilst my dad was getting his weekly imbibe at the Working Men's Club, but I was surprised at how few I'd actually seen (or remembered?).

Great to see two of my favourite crushes popping up - Jenny Agutter and Pamela Franklyn. Also I was struck by how skinny actresses were in the seventies, especially the Americans! Lots of parts for 'can-do' women in this series though, from a supposedly sexist decade...

In the main these plays were nice company on a Sunday night with a glass of whisky... or two...

I watched Network's Thriller box set years ago. I thought it better than a mixed bag.

Tales of the Unexpected was because they borrowed stories from all over the place including several episodes 'nicked' from US series of similar length. The quality of the image went from excellent to 'watchable' especially those American tv episodes although one of them was a fantastic tale starring Brad Dourif about a serial killer at a desert road side diner but nobody knew who it was.

Thriller has a classic tale of Folk Horror in the excellent A Place to Die. That single episode was worth the price of the box set to me. I've returned to that a few times over the years.

I plan to watch the whole set again