View Single Post
Old 19th July 2023, 12:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've been watching Succession and finished the second season earlier this week.

It's a show I have heard is highly rated, one many people think is among the best TV series ever made, and I can understand why. It's cleverly written and superbly acted – Brian Cox is brilliant as Logan Roy, the patriarch of a powerful family-owned corporation (there are obvious similarities to the Murdoch and Trump families) and, Cox's brilliance notwithstanding, Kieron Culkin is probably the standout member of the terrific ensemble cast, playing Logan's immature and impudent middle son.

It's strange to see the words "Created by Jesse Armstrong" in the opening credits, because that's a name I associate with Smack the Pony, Peep Show, and That Mitchell and Webb Look, the TV shows he wrote with Sam Bain. The witty script is full of caustic humour with some cutting dialogue that is similar to the Armando Iannucci-created The Thick of It and Veep.

Although I've only seen two seasons, I can see why Succession is so highly rated by critics and viewers alike, and wholeheartedly recommend this to everyone who likes black comedies and high quality American drama series – this certainly compares favourably with shows like Mad Men, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and The Wire.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 19th July 2023 at 12:26 PM.