View Single Post
Old 26th July 2023, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning at the cinema yesterday and thought it was great, literally and figuratively spectacular.

Tom Cruise is ageing incredibly well and some of the stunts he did in this would be impressive for a man half his age, never mind someone approaching his 60th birthday. Even at this relatively advanced age, he is still an action star of the highest calibre.

Christopher McQuarrie, who shot this shortly after making the equally intense and compelling Mission: Impossible – Fallout, clearly has a good rapport with Cruse, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, and Rebecca Ferguson, and has assembled a fine ensemble cast with Esai Morales, Pom Klementieff, Mariela Garriga, and Henry Czerny.

Morales' portrayal of Gabriel, the antagonist, is a standout feature because this ambitious terrorist is organised, ruthless, and sociopathic – a dangerous adversary for Ethan Hunt and the IMF team to stop.

I thought this was an awesome piece of action filmmaking with several very suspenseful sequences, and it's a film I am glad I saw on a big cinema screen with appropriately loud and bombastic sound. Although I'll enjoy watching it at home, I'll be unable to recreate the immersive visuals and volume of the cinema experience.