View Single Post
Old 28th July 2023, 06:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
EVIL DEAD RISE – Sometimes it’s enough to walk away feeling relieved. That was all I was hoping for really, so I’m happy to report I got more than I bargained for – ‘Evil Dead Rise’ is an impressive, even excellent sequel. The one from 2013 was interesting, I dug it, plenty didn’t, but I thought it was good, grim, just a bit ponderous with a few stylistic slips. ‘Evil Dead Rise’ is the real thing. I think what I appreciate most is that they just got the tone right, bang on between black comedy and gruelling, straight-ahead horror. A tricky mix to pull off, but it doesn’t grate. Other than that, it just delivers. It doesn’t sell anyone short on the gore front – for every sly, fan-pleasingly referential wink there’s at least one spill of entrails and a flying eyeball – and atmospherically it’s all there, very dark, oppressive. As a piece of filmmaking, it’s up with the best of the series; it doesn’t have originality on its side and it doesn’t quite summon the same feeling of delirium I always get from the first film, but let’s not be too reverential, this is really good stuff. Two thumbs up.
Sold Sir!!!!!