View Single Post
Old 10th August 2023, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
True Detective Season One (2014)

A superior police procedural series starring Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson as two detectives chasing a serial killer with Occult leanings across a 17 year period.

Told in flashback for the first few episodes as the pair recite their findings to two officers as played by Tory Kittles and Michael Potts before the story develops in the present day for the final couple of episodes.

It's intricate and beautifully thought out. Harrelson and particularly McConaughey are both excellent as is Michelle Monaghan as Harrelson's put upon wife. The plot is mysterious and delves into Louisiana and Bayou folklore, the air as thick and oppressive as the plot and features some hard hitting sequences. Episode four - Who Goes There - reminded me of Sons of Anarchy with McConaughey undercover in a meth dealing biker gang.

The cinematography is movie like with sweeping aerial shots which make the Deep South appear such a desolate yet eerily beautiful place.

Although the narrative is fragmented it's incredibly complex and utterly compelling making me wonder about watching it all again to see what i missed first time round.

Highly recommended.
I love that tagline. "Touch Darkness and Darkness Touches You Back"
Glad you enjoyed it Dem, it really was something special the first series.