View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 2nd

The Prophecy (1995)

Elias Koteas plays a detective on a murder case which leads him along with a teacher (Virginia Madsen) on a quest to save the life of a young Native American girl around whom a civil war in heaven breaks out with the Angel Gabriel (Christopher Walken) on Earth and out to claim her soul.

Despite the prophecies of the Book of Revelations about a civil war in heaven being fought out on Earth The Prophecy is a fairly un-apocalyptic tale instead playing out more as a character piece as we see Christopher Walken in typical crazed fashion going about his murderous business until his boss, Lucifer, (A cool Viggo Mortensen) arrives to put an end to it all.

As a film which went straight to video in the UK The Prophecy has an exceptional cast with Eric Stoltz, Amanda Plummer (Excellent when possessed) and Adam Goldberg also appearing. Director Gregory Widen keeps the pace at a relentless level and the script features some glorious dialogue "I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch" - Walken obviously - as well as some brutal violence. Not only is it an urban detective horror story in the LA streets it also delves into Native American lore in it's final third which produces a well thought out if surprising finale.

Inventive, witty, original. The Prophecy has long been a favourite of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1267 (Large).JPG (82.8 KB, 3 views)