View Single Post
Old 20th October 2023, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

19. Sea Fever

Disney+ - first time watch.

This Irish film stars Dougray Scott as Gerard, the skipper of a fishing trawler on board which a PhD student takes a trip to study deep sea faunal behaviour patterns. Gerard receives a warning from the coast guard that he is due to sail through an exclusion zone owing to the presence of whales. Gerard ignores this warning as his sonar equipment tells him there is a big shoal of fish in the exclusion zone and he is in desperate need of the money a successful catch will bring him and his crew. Once in the exclusion zone the boat is attacked by what they believe is possibly a giant squid. The PhD student suspects otherwise and quickly realises that the crew are all at risk of an unknown parasite.

I really enjoyed this movie. Consider it something like “The Thing”, but onboard a boat. This is the film I wish “The Abyss” would have been. Exciting and scary. Great performances from all the cast.
IMG_8122.jpg

20. Killer under the bed

Disney+ - first time watch.

A high school age girl moving to a new town following the death of her father immediately has problems with bullies at the new school, on top of the family stresses. She find a voodoo doll in the shed, left by the previous homeowner. Initially sceptical she vents some anger by testing the dolls powers, and once she realises it actually works, the power goes to her head and she’s dishing out curses trying to help her own situation and that of her family members. As the story goes - you don’t always get what you wish for and eventually she’s trying to backtrack it all out.

Stupid lightweight film with a distinctly ‘made for tv’ feel, complete with hammy performances from all the cast and those sudden breaks in the music at exactly the point where an advert break would usually be. The doll doesn’t ever actually kill anyone either, so it’s not really a ‘killer’ under her bed.

Nevertheless I did enjoy it, and couldn’t help but think that if the film had been made in 1988 instead of 2018 Arrow would probably release it in a special edition and we’d all go daft for it.
IMG_8123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk