View Single Post
Old 1st November 2023, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Director Francis Ford Coppola's Gothic masterpiece is as near to Bram Stoker's classic novel as any of the many screen adaptations have been. The film has Coppola's distinct visual flair and mood but is also well within the realms of classic vampire fiction. The sets are superb, be it old London, or the wilds of Transylvania. CGI is apparent but never obtrusive as Coppola brings us images direct from the book which other screen versions have never dared (or technically been able to). Coppola takes the erotic elements from Stoker's novel and reaches new heights of erotically charged tension

The cast is an impressive one with Gary Oldman as Dracula particularly good. The way he pronounces Tran-sil-varnia is beautifully rich and poetic.

A special mention must go to composer Wojciech Kilar, whose score is one of the highlights of film music of the last thirty years with its Mars Bringer of War styled centre piece and haunting melodies to make the skin shiver, it even incorporates Hammer's Dracula theme by James Bernard into it's opening titles. For me Kilar has produced the finest music to ever grace a Gothic horror film.

The film does have its critics mainly due to what some say is a poor performance from Keanu Reeves, especially vocally. I think he does a decent job in the role of Jonathan Harker. It is, after all , the role of a protagonist who introduces Dracula to the audience then becomes fodder for his vampire brides.

The film is now over thirty years old and i think has aged well and has yet to be surpassed as the strongest interpretation of Stoker's novel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1426 (Large).JPG (94.0 KB, 3 views)