View Single Post
Old 7th November 2023, 11:11 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Creator
Quote:
Amid a future war between the human race and the forces of artificial intelligence, a hardened ex-special forces agent grieving the disappearance of his wife, is recruited to hunt down and kill the Creator, the elusive architect of advanced AI who has developed a mysterious weapon with the power to end the war—and mankind itself.
Co-written and directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One), this sci-fi/action film is set in 2070, 15 years after an Artificial Intelligence detonated a nuclear bomb over Los Angeles, killing millions of people. In response, most Western nations outlawed AI and declared war on New Asia, the eastern countries that have embraced AI despite its deadly potential.

Part of this response is to create the North American Orbital Mobile Aerospace Defense (NOMAD), an organisation responsible for Western defence and with a space station of the same name, a ship that can launch precise missile strikes anywhere in the world. With NOMAD in the air, they also need ground intelligence to track down the elusive Nirmala, an AI designer who has apparently designed a weapon that can destroy mankind. This is where Joshua Taylor (John David Washington), a former special forces agent grieving for his wife, comes in.

I went to the cinema with high expectations for this as I thought the trailer did a great job of selling this as a thought-provoking piece of science fiction, and I highly rate Gareth Edwards' previous films. It didn't disappoint and was everything I hoped it would be: cleverly written, usually impressive, and emotionally engaging. I actually went back the next week to watch it again and was just as impressed on the second viewing. As good as John David Washington is, the real star of the show was young actress Madeleine Yuma, an extremely accomplished performer who is utterly convincing as a stimulant, a robot with humanistic qualities.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th November 2023 at 01:40 PM.