Thread: War Films
View Single Post
Old 19th November 2023, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Eagles Over London (1969)

During the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, a team of German saboteurs assume the identities of dead British soldiers and are transported to England. Their aim to cripple British air defences by destroying radar stations and finally RAF Fighter Command in London enabling German planes to commence the bombing of London unseen and unheard. An English captain cottons onto the plan and sets out with his unit to track them down.

A fantastic dollop of 'macaroni combat' from the great Enzo G Castellari. What the film lacks in cohesion is easily made up for with fantastic action sequences and probably the greatest special effects work in any Castellari, nay Italian movie. The model and green screen sequences of the air battles are superb and the Dunkirk evacuation is huge in scale. I'm not kidding when i say i was shocked that this was all newly filmed footage and not ripped off from any more famous WWII movies.

In fact it was this film that ended up getting ripped off by hack director Umberto Lenzi for his 1979 film From Hell to Victory which pissed Castellari off no end.

Now here's the fun. Castellari's film is a co production from Italy, France and Spain and it shows because we have Italians playing Germans playing British.

Confused? You will be!

Especially when you realise leading actor Frederick Stafford playing an English captain is a Czech and sounds German whilst the lead German is played by Spaniard Francisco Rabal and looks and sounds like American actor Cliff Robertson. Meanwhile Italian Luigi Pistilli also playing a German saboteur has the best English dubbed voice of the lot. Oh yeah, i don't think there's a Brit in the whole cast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8hOs036iQTYkNObGaDcbCYZ9VNZ (Medium).jpg (59.1 KB, 1 views)