View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2024, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Leathal Weapon. 1987.

Lethal Weapon was one of the first in the modern buddy cop genre. Mel Gibson stars as LAPD Detective Martin Riggs, a cop who lives on the ragged edge and who could be suicidal, much to the dismay of his new partner Sergeant Roger Murtaugh, who is celebrating his 50th birthday. Together they uncover a drug smuggling ring that involves a criminal gang comprised of mercenaries and former members of a C.I.A-Special Forces Black Ops unit with ties to the Vietnam War.

The majority of the humour stems from scenes with Murtaugh and Riggs as both of them have a completely different style of policing. Murtaugh is more straight laced and has more of a general regard for following police procedure. Whereas Riggs is unorthodox and wild and will go to more extreme methods. The character development is also good. Riggs in particular is afforded some depth - we learn that his wife of 11 years was killed in a car accident which explains his suicidal tendencies, it perhaps also helps to explain his rather "shot first ask questions later" approach to policing, where Murtaugh has a happy homelife/family and everything goes up in smoke when Riggs come into his life.

Leathal Weapon 2. 1989.

Mel and Danny return as Riggs and Murtaugh, this time dealing with a official from South Africa who is using his diplomatic immunity for crime and getting to take care of Joe Pesci who is under witness protection after he stole some money. The chemistry and laughs between the two main leads is still there if not better when sharing a bathroom. Joss Ackland (R.I.P) plays the big official who thinks he can do anything while his henchman Derek O' Connor doesnt want to be the next guy wrapped in plastic and assistant Patsy Kensit seems a little wooden on her acting in this but does get her kit off. Plenty of action and a great finale of a shootout and fight scene on a boat is well choreographed like the previous film's fight scene.

p9831_p_v8_at.jpg p11738_p_v10_aa.jpg