View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2024, 03:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely The Gestapo's Last Orgy can't be mentioned in the same breath as The Night Porter and Salo.

It's typical Italian rip off trash cinema exploiting viewers with more sensationalism than the original more successful films it rides on the coat tails of.

Ditto The Beast in Heat, SS Experiment Camp, Red Nights of the Gestapo and a multitude of edited and re-edited garbage from Eurocine like Special Train for Hitler and Nathalie Rescued from Hell.

No different than the cannibal films rush released on the back of Man from Deep River really.

So perhaps The Gestapo's Last Orgy would be better compared with the films around it rather than the classic cinema it rips off.
I suppose I was trying to hold it to a high standard, the genuinely thought-provoking and powerful Nazi-inspired dramas (I could have also mentioned The Damned) rather than films like SS Experiment Camp, Love Camp 7, She Devils of the SS, or The Beast in Heat, or even Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS and its sequels.

If I was doing a like-for-like comparison and only looking at the low-budget Italian films, I still think The Gestapo's Last Orgy is quite dull. However, I don't know why it is still banned because, apart from the cannibalism aspect, the subject material and on-screen violence and depravity is any worse than that depicted in the other 'trashy' Nazisploitation films.

Even factoring in the cannibalism subplot and scenes such as the one where a young woman's naked body is soaked in cognac and burned on a dinner table, I wouldn't consider it more objectionable than the more extreme elements of Man from Deep River, The Mountain of the Cannibal God or Zombie Holocaust.