View Single Post
Old 7th February 2024, 10:16 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
I would never buy a blockbuster movie at "market prices". I'd do it maybe for an OOP edition of a really obscure film. Or to complete a set (I did this recently. that hole in the set was killing me for years). but otherwise? Just wait a while and another edition will surely pop up, hopefully better and improved, as it just did
More often than not blockbusters are reduced in price a few months after they get released so i just pick them up then, somewhere in that £5-10 range.

That's with current or recent films.

The older films that came out at the birth of Blu-ray some are getting scarce and some are simply out of print aren't they other than the extortionate second hand market?

But like you say (And depending on the company, as i think Disney and Fox are no more as far as physical media goes) many will get re-releases down the line. Be it StudioCanal titles like Cutthroat Island, Basic Instinct, Total Recall etc, etc or oddities like The Thomas Crown Affair remake and Miami Vice, recently reissued by 88 Films.

Many of those early Blu's are debatable anyway. Touchstone somehow managed to only put Dolby Digital soundtracks on their supposedly HD discs so films like The Rock and Con Air lack a true HD soundtrack....meanwhile there's the dreaded DN-R which plagued films like Predator.