View Single Post
Old 25th March 2010, 06:33 PM
Ex-member

No no mate...You're right that we are not the force we were, but I think the UK has bounced back nicely in the 00's. And can join France for certain in delivering some fine horror product.

I actually think Dyer is very good and likeable in "Severance", but eevn if you donlt like him you have to admit that he's been part of a number of tough multi-genre pieces (even those that fail) the like of which we've not produced in this country since the early 80's...no costume dramas here.

Indeed we have seen a rise in tougher genre's full stop.
Whatever you think of "Lock Stock" (me I love it) it gave a real boost to violent, full-on, British thriller making...even if it rather got bogged down in gangsters.
Certainly we have not had a tough thriller output like this since the 80's (and that was almost solely down to 2 or 3 'Hand Made Films' and "Who Dares Wins" even then).

But "Rise of the Foot Soldier", "Rollin' with the Nine's", "London to Brighton", "The Crew", "Snatch", "Harry Brown", "The Bank Job", "Gangster no.1" and "Bronson" have all delivered well crafted, tough, stylish, gritty, brutal entertainment unlike anything seen since the 70's/80's.

Even stuff like "Green Zone" and "Kick-Ass" are UK co-productions utilising much UK talent both in front and behind the camera in high profile positions.

I'm actually really happy and quite proud with the way the UK has bounced back this decade as far as getting it's fingers in as many tasty cinematic pies as possible.