Old 15th February 2024, 04:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Wonka,

We tried watching this, sorry we both found it truly awful, it's like when a normal friend suddenly tries to hard to be something they're not to point it becomes embarrassing, that's what I thought about this, far too whimsical, making a musical wtf that all about? Not even entertaining music either, the point when all 3 owners where prancing around the copper my wife just said this is cringeworthy I'm going toilet, I said do you want me to pause it? She replied no I want you to turn it off. They was trying to hard to make it different and something it's not. (Yes I'm aware willy wonka different) I don't get all the good reviews either, either I don't get it or I watched something completely different, and I thought Timothée Chalamet who played wonka was awful and not right for the character.
I'm not sure why you were surprised by the musical element in Wonka considering Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is a musical with some brilliant songs, with Neil Hannon and Joby Talbot incorporating Pure Imagination into the Wonka narrative as a link between the two films.

I saw Wonka at the cinema and thought it was a delight: brilliantly written, beautifully designed, and superbly performed by the ensemble cast, from Olivia Colman's avaricious landlady to Hugh Grant's haughty homunculus.

I love the two Paddington films and The Mighty Boosh, so had high hopes for Wonka because it is directed by Paul King, and co-written by him and Simon Farnaby – it lived up to those lofty expectations.

I'm definitely going to buy the 4K Ultra HD release so I can enjoy it again at home.