View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2024, 03:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Black Room (1935)

A pair of identical twins are plagued by a curse that foretells that," just as the family began with the elder twin killing the younger, so it shall end".

Boris Karloff shows his acting class in this film where he has a dual role as two identical brothers, one good and one evil as sin. Naturally we root for the decent and sympathetic brother but Karloff plays Gregor, a proper Mr. nasty, with glee.

The Black Room is a delightful macabre Gothic romp featuring murder and secret torture chambers. The black room in question is a deep pit with spikes at the bottom where the evil Gregor dumps the bodies of local girls once he has had his way with them.

It must be noted that the special effects in this film are excellent. Karloff is frequently on screen in both roles and the picture is seamless. Although the film was made by Columbia rather than Universal, the films sets are just as pleasing to the eye, lovely east European villages, stunning mansions and beautiful set design all add up to produce a finely crafted seventy minutes of entertainment
I have that one in Eurekas, Karloff at Columbia set that you've just picked up Dem. I have to be honest I didn't think much of it all. Much preferred a few of the so called Mad Scientist films in the set.