View Single Post
Old 7th March 2024, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Internship (2013)

Starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as recently laid-off salesmen who after somehow getting on an internship at Google's San Francisco headquarters then have to compete with much younger and more technically skilled applicants for a job at the internet giant.

Normally i'd run a mile from a Vaughn / Wilson film, at least back in the 00's when they were at the peak of their powers but i picked this up for 50p at Poundland sometime last year as i wanted a spare Blu-ray case and last night actually bothered to watch it.

I genuinely found it really refreshing even if it is a celluloid cliche. In fact it's practically a remake of American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007) but the two stars are so likable and easy going in this and never irritating at all. Even at two hours for the extended unrated cut which has plenty of nudity and swearing apparently denied it's theatrical release it never ran out of steam and i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's fair to say that Wilson and Vaughn impress with their interpersonal skills and team building rather than anything in the technical area.

The haters will say that it's basically a two hour advert for Google and it's hard to argue against that. On another viewing it's possible i might think it utter corporate sucking shite, but last night i was just in the right mood for this film without knowing it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-internship-poster.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)