View Single Post
Old 30th March 2024, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movies 38

Barry Lyndon. 1975.

Redmond Barry leaves his home town and joins the British army and deserts it and with his use of seduction and gambling becomes a nobleman and manages to make a enemy.

A film I tried to watch and could never get to even the middle or intermission but today I done it and glad I stuck it out this time. Such a great piece of cinematic history. Ryan O'Neil plays the title character from his troubled time to living in Ireland, falling in love and then having a duel with Leonard Rossiter that may have cost those around him a lot of money.

You really do have to admire Stanley Kubrick for even trying to produce and direct such a complex and expensive film that had all the ear markings of a financial and personal disaster. Not only did Kubrick manage to out do his last epic 2001 but he has created a movie that not only showcases the untapped acting abilities of some well known faces. The set pieces are amazing and the costumes are what you would expect to see in a movie with the timeline of the 18th century and a stunning background score that adds to the pace and tension of the last duel in the film.

Poster.jpg