View Single Post
Old 8th June 2008, 05:16 PM
Cultist

I also watched this today (been a good film day) and I really enjoyed (although using the word 'enjoy' does seem a bit wrong but I'm sure you'll all understand what I mean). I wasn't sure what to expect because I've read so much about it being a complete rip off of Last House... but it's not as simple as that. I think this film is far more subtle than Last House... and not as in your face. It's disturbing and upsetting and I can see why it was banned way back in 1976.

The two girls (like those in Last House...) come across as really nice, friendly and likeable and what happens is truly shocking. It's the scenes that aren't as graphic which upset me more - the power of the mind and imagination.

The humilation of the two girls is almost unwatchable and even though I knew what was going to happen to them (after reading about it so often I know the story well enough) I was hoping they were going to escape.

It's the ending that really sets this film apart from Last House... The revenge of the father is not as over the top as it is in Last House... with the mother joining in for good measure. I'm glad that doesn't happen here. The ending is just as shocking, less sensational but no less savage.

Another excellent presentation from Shameless - the print is beautifully clear with the colour being bright and darkness being dark but not too dark.

Bravo.