Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2010, 01:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I can't see it being amended either. However it's absurd that films such as the two 'oldies' mentioned above (among many other equally old films) were passed uncut not only for cinema but for video release too, yet fall foul of the act today.

I can understand why the BBFC has to cut such footage under current regulations, though I do find it incomprehensible & contradictory at times.
The fault lies with the BBFC, Vince, who have clearly made a number of mistakes in the past, passing scenes that should have been cut. It's not a case that the scenes fell foul of the Act today, they have always been in breach of the Act. But it's up to the BBFC examiners to spot theses scenes, which they have ocassionally been failing to do in years gone by. There must have been hundereds of examiners at the BBFC over the past 80/90 years. Personally I think it's inevitable that you will get examiners who are not up to the job. And there's no doubt that there will be "cruelty" getting passed even today that will be cut in 10 years time.

I did ask the BBFC why it is they cut some recent John Wayne films which they had previously passed uncut. Now surprise, surprise they chose not to reply to me, making it obvious what the reason was. They don't like to admit to making mistakes.