View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I don't get this. It's cropped up in your (excellent, don't misunderstand me) reviews before.

Why do you need this explaining? It just is. So far as the narrative you are watching goes, it just is. You don't need to know why, and you do not need to think beyond the story that the film is unfolding for you. It just is.

I am honestly, not having a go. I think you have a fine reviewing style and I enjoy reading your stuff and you make me think and you make me want to check things out, but I just have trouble over this issue. It utterly puzzles me. Surely if you can accept a narrative with something as absurd as, say, zombies or a werewolf, than surely you can accept an eccentric turn in a depiction of fictional events? Why does anything else need explaining? Deus Ex Machina? Shit happens?
But that has nothing to do with it.
In fact I explicitly stated, just to avoid such a comeback in the first place...
...what did not matter as a whole as far as the drama and emotion went (what happened to the world and how)

I had NO need...AT ALL...to know what happened or how it happened as far as the film went as a whole.
I'm not thick. I know it was simply a stepping stone to the drama and what happened does not matter to the drama unfolding.
I said that. And I still don't care what happened as far as that goes.

But my problem had nothing to do with the drama of the film, or my needing hand holding, It had to do with basic, GLARING, logic in a key scene.
You build a shelter right by your house for an event LIKE THIS. So why did you not use it?
It opens up questions!! It's called taking an interest.
And that's nothing to do with drama, emotion, or deeper friggin meanings.

I don't give a damn what happened or how...until you have such an obvious question as that.
Going by the Viggo and his family, they stayed at their home after what happened for years!
Years!
So how come the owner of the shelter didn't go to it in all that time?
This opens up the question of were most people killed instantly...or not.
That's basic interest in the movie!

It's observation and thought on what is unspooling in front of you. Not watching the film like you're staring at a blank wall, noticing nothing.
'Shit happens' and a shrug seems to me very little interest is invested in the film.