View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
MEGA SPOILERS!!!

I went to see A Nightmare On Elm Street remake the other day and I thought it was excellent! I tried to go into the film being as unbiased as I could, sure it's a remake and sure I luv Freddy but let's see what happens.

I'd say that this remake was actually more of a reimagining than a remake, as the story is almost completly different to Craven's original, with, of course, a few familiar scenes. For example, whilst there may be the bath scene, the infamous bed nightmare with the spray of blood gushing out is completly missing in the remake as is there a officer (John Saxon). But this doesn't harm the film at all, since it's not needed for the plot. Plus, if you were not such a fan of the original Home Alone-esque ending, then this new ending is another possitive point which is very reminiscent of the later sequels.

But the main question is/was whether Freddy's any good? Well, the first time we see him (very early on) I wasn't convinced at all, and wanted ol' Englund back ASAP, but as the film continued I found myself becoming very fond of the new Freddy. He seems to be a lot darker and much more evil. His wise-cracks are still there (although all of these witty lines he says are nicked from all the other films, such as 'Now that's what I call a wet dream' 'You're mouth says no no, but your body says yes yes'). The make-up on the other hand, I'm not a fan of. Freddy looks like a disfigured monkey!

We are also TREATED to a few sequences showing Freddy before his burning. At first I was worried about this as it seemed they were trying to portray Freddy as an innocent who was wrongly burnt. Thank God they never kept to that!

The gore is very well done with only a few moments that are spoiled by shitty CGI. But overall this Nightmare is definetly NOT a nightmare as some fans seem to be moaning about on the web, IMO. It's an excellent remake, a bizillion times better than Friday The 13th remake (HEAVE!) and even Freddy's Dead. Check it out if you get the chance.
Sorry dude but i really disliked this film.The best scenes were of freddy before he was burned and were quite unsetteling,but the rest of the film left me cold,done nothing new imo,but each to their own mate.