View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 11:41 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
I don't really see the point in complaining to the BBFC about it either. As Vincenzo already said their hands are tied by the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937 which they have absolutely no power to change. I'm sure that some of the examiners would sympathise to some extent with fans being upset but it's a matter of law so what can they do? It certainly won't hurt for them to know that people are displeased but they'll just have to issue their standard response - which no-one can argue with.

If you really wanted to get things changed then the way to do it would be to contact your MP. Only through an amendment to the law will this be resolved - and the fact that the UK passed a law on the matter way back in 1937 shows how strongly people in this country care about animal welfare. Personally I'd love to see older films uncut and I don't have a problem with the cat & mouse scene for example (infact I think it's daft to cut such sections from films that were made in different times or with different considerations) but I can see why people do have a problem with it and why the law exists. I think that the best that could be expected would be some sort of amendment to exempt films over a certain age (maybe from before films were properly monitored or something) unless there was evidence of exceptional and sustained cruelty - even then I think such a change would be extremely unlikely.
It's a good point but actually I think the answer is to still write to the BBFC - they have to log all this AND also e-mail to your MP - at least then we've all then lodged our thoughts.