View Single Post
Old 7th June 2010, 12:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libretio View Post

I've avoided a number of films for reasons of animal cruelty. For years, I avoided MEN BEHIND THE SUN because of the scene in which a cat is supposedly eaten alive by hundreds of starving rats. The director refused to answer direct questions about this material, making him seem like low scum until - lo and behold! - it turns out the whole thing was faked and that the director 'avoided direct questions' in order to maintain the film's brutal reputation. And now that I'm 'free' to see the movie unhindered by moral outrage (!), it's nowhere to be found!!...
The director may deny that scene is real but I think he's talking ass and feeling somewhat guilty many decades after-the-fact. Anyone who seriously believes he gave a cat a sedative, poured jam on it and then let rats (rats!) "lick" it off before reviving said moggy and giving it a plate of food is... well... I have a bridge I can sell you, put it that way.

I think anyone arguing anything goes with animal cruelty (such as Cannibal Holocaust) needs to answer my point about squash videos etc: you want these freely available? It's been done, right? It's documented. Should they be out there?

If we accept not then I think we need to accept a line should be drawn somewhere (as an aside, Cannibal Holocaust plays much better without the animal stuff than with - who wants to see that stuff a second time anyway?)