View Single Post
Old 26th June 2008, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
I'm quite excited as the Mr is getting me the Japanese Grindhouse SE for my birthday next month. So far I've only seen Death Proof which I saw on the cinema. Despite everyone seeming to hate it, I quite liked it. But that could have something to do with a lifelong crush on Kurt Russell...
That's a great set, I've had it for a little while - as I mentioned above, the GRINDHOUSE cut of DEATH PROOF is much better. It's still not a perfect film, but its flaws aren't as accentuated as they are in the stand-alone, extended version. The shorter version is definitely better, though I don't hate the longer version, either. I just thought it was very, very disappointing. I saw the extended version first, via the R1 DVD, as it was released prior to the UK theatrical release. I'm a big fan of Tarantino, and with the exception of DP, have seen all of his directorial efforts in the cinema (yep, including the woefully bad FOUR ROOMS). I think DP is still very self-indulgent and quite turgid for a film that's supposed to be a slick exploitation pastiche. that said, there are still a lot of qualities that I really dig.