View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Imo TED is a perfect example of brilliance on a budget. Sam Raimi and his creative crew may have had little money to work with but they made up for lack of financing with a flourish of resourcefulness.

Sure, The film isn't exactly an original concept with it's teens-in-peril plot, slack script and barely passable performances. And don't forget those hairdo discrepancies and 'Fake Shemp' usage! But i personally couldn't care less about these shortcomings as i think TED still delivers in abundance on atmosphere, scares and gloriously gratuitous gore. Not to mention Raimi's dynamic, frenetic visual style and apt use of editing and sound.

There's no doubt that some of the FX has aged very poorly and was even lacklustre back when the movie was first released. But other onscreen graphic acts still look good even now in the face of overexposed CGI.

Joseph LoDuca's sinister strings still send a shiver up the spine and i truly believe Raimi's devilish demonic delight still boasts the scariest twilight woodlands i've seen on film.

And remember TED was originally rejected by various American releasing outfits and first found fame on U.K. shores. Us Blighty based horror devotees embraced the movie when U.S. studio suits turned their backs on it.

Within The Woods is a minor gem too imo and i wish Raimi would relinquish his rigid grip on the rights to this Deadite dry run and bless us with a new legit lease of life for this short but superior slice of Kandarian carnage.