View Single Post
Old 12th July 2010, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
As Nekro says, each to their own. I think we all probably have differing ideas as to what constitutes 'horror'. Like I said, it's a very broad term - what is horrific to one person is laughable to another. So it's very hard to get an exact definition IMO. The modern horror films tries to gross people out - but is that really horror? Or is that simply repulsion? I don't think films like the Saw films actually horrify anyone, but they certainly inspire repulsion.

It's an interesting debate. And there's probably some films I class as horror that others wouldn't and vice versa. The beauty of the horror genre is that it's so wide and all-encompassing, you can transplant horror into all kinds of other genres - sci-fi horror, war-horror (The Bunker, Outpost), comedy-horror, gangster-horror (Innocent Blood) etc. Horror, like no other genre, has invaded almost all known cinematic genres at one time or another. Even the recent Twilight saga shows horror invading the romantic drama genre!
spot on
I dont really see Saw as people horror though as they suck
anyway being serious for a sec, in my mind there are 2 main branches of horror. Psychological and "In your Face" so to speak. Both can be scary so in that regards they are both horror. Horror used to be about scary movies but now its about gore etc. Main reason I think is cause not many horror films actually scare people anymore. Only exception in the modern cinema is Paranormal Activity but I didnt find it scary at all but I know lots of people that could not sleep and I can understand why.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr