View Single Post
Old 18th July 2010, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Directs with little flair?
Just tell me what kind of a movie you could do if you had the producers bitchin´you in every scene.

Adrien Brody just looks confused?
Answer above

Giallo is not a good movie because of the producers fault.
Dario Argento imself was shocked when he saw the final edit.
You can defend Argento all you like - but it's not as if Giallo was Argento's first bad movie, is it? He's been on a downward trend for quite some time, so no-one was really expecting Giallo to be a work of genius.

I'm a huge Argento fan, but I'm also not blind to his recent shortcomings and I will not defend him when he makes something bad. The producers didn't hassle him all the way through the film, they were only responsible for interfering with the final edit, which Argento didn't like (that's according to a recent interview with Argento). So why didn't he supervise? Is his reputation so bad now that he doesn't have the necessary clout to demand that he oversee his own work? Who knows. As it stands, everything you see on the screen is what Argento filmed, so there's no getting away from that. Yes, the edit was probably badly handled, but who knows what material they had to work with? Maybe this was the best that could be mustered from what Argento gave them. Again, who knows - maybe we never will.