View Single Post
Old 19th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Ilsa: She Wolf of The SS -- it's amazing how tame this is given its rather notorious reputation
Oh, I don't know - I think there's still plenty of stuff in this to offend most viewers. The dinner party sequence is still incredibly callous and horrific and this film will never get through the BBFC uncut IMO. I actually think it's overall still a very controversial and offensive film and when I lent it to someone recently they were genuinely shocked by it. So it hasn't lost much of its power to offend. So no, I wouldn't call it tame, as such. Tame by our standards, maybe - but the majority of film viewers have never been exposed to incendiary material like this. The closest they've got to Nazisploitation is Schindler's List.

There was a point a while back when I too began to think these films were tame. But then I really thought about what I was watching and its full implications and you realise just how shocking it is really. I mean, come on, they're having a dinner party whilst a Jewish woman is slowly hung as the block of ice is melting under her feet. And the Nazi's are laughing and having a wail of a time. Think about it - that's pretty horrifying, not to mention cruel and sadistic! I know they're just films, but sometimes I think we just let it wash over us without actually registering just how brutal some of this stuff is! And I don't mean in a way that we should feel guilty - but to let the power of horror hit us hard, as these films are meant to!