View Single Post
Old 26th July 2010, 09:25 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I think all the old Tartan dvd's were region free, including their weird decision for an NTSC one so hopefully they're not too strict with Battle Royale.
I think the Toei film company made a mistake with the contract,which Tartan exploited,released BR as an NTSC disc as well [which was MUCH better quality than the PAL release and was mainly for export].BR suffered when it was released at the cinema due to 9/11 happening around the same time,the ICA had a great festival of Kinji Fukasaku films including 'Battles Without Honor And Humanity','Graveyard Of Honor' and one of the finest anti war films ever made 'Under The Flag Of The Rising Sun',there were about 2 other people in the cinema when I watched these,which was very shocking for such classic films !
Now if Arrow could release Fukasaku's pop art crime flick 'Black Lizard' [think Diabolik and you're half way there !] that would be incredible,the only worldwide release is a bootleg,It hasn't been released in Japan [outside of rare VHS and laserdisc releases],not exactly sure why,Yukio Mishima's widow is rumoured to have a problem with it,Mishima is briefly seen as one of the Black Lizards living sculptures,the film is based on a novel by Edogawa Rampo,not Mishima,so I have no idea how Mishima's widow could block the release ? Does anyone know for sure.