View Single Post
Old 28th July 2010, 02:08 PM
Blogs Moderator

I agree with the above as far as which of the directors movies is the entry level film. The Argento connection with Santa Sangre is probably enough to get many Cult Labs members excited. The film is actually a very clever mix of Italian Horror tropes and Jodorowsky's cinematic obsessions and both elements compliment each other perfectly.

There's also a scene where an Elephant bleeds to death through it's trunk that will burn itself into your synapses forever. I can close my eyes and see the claret flooding out as if the film is running on my eyelids and I haven't watched the film in five years.

I have to argue the toss about Holy Mountain though. It's not a narrative movie so that makes it difficult to follow, but it's more about a mass of crazed concepts assaulting you. I'm struggling to think of a movie that have the same level of visual inventiveness and constant, striking ideas.

It's more a series of episodes built around a central theme rather than a normal story but if you can cope with that, it rewards you time and again.