Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
Old 12th July 2008, 07:10 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
That was probably true in the 60's and 70's in regards to regular violence although I can't think of any examples in regards to animal cruelty but it's unlikely to be the case today anyway. In fact I'm pretty sure it's not. A lot of people used to complain that there were double standards regarding art house/subtitled films. A lot of subtitled films have been cut recently for scenes of animal cruelty eg cockfighting being the main reason.
I meant in relation to sex and 'general' violence. I think animal cruelty has been dealt with very swiftly in the UK over the past few years.

I can't remember the name of the film with the 'notorious' cockfighting scenes that was in the news a couple of years ago but were they staged for the film or were they part of a 'cultural' thing?

I don't want to see things like that but I think it's always interesting when cultural things are seen, I want to understand why they do these things. It's still cruel but there's a reason unlike beheading a snake because it's makes for a good scene.

I saw an interesting documentary about bull fighting a few years ago and whilst I thought it was shocking and very upsetting I understood why they did it. I don't agree with it though, it's very cruel.