View Single Post
Old 12th August 2010, 12:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Lesbian Vampire Killers
This is not the worst film ever made as some would have you believe, but it is lazy film making lacking originality and style. I did chuckle a few times along the way, (Paul McGann's swearing priest was great.) but the whole thing just felt like an idea for a thirty minute comedy skit had been stretched out to make a 85 minute movie. I couldn't understand why the vampires' blood was replaced by white fluid duing their kills. If this was trying to cash in on the success of films like "Shaun Of The Dead" they should have realised that genuine gore is an important aspect.

The Perfect Getaway
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. For the most part this is well acted and the script is quite smart. There is a nice line of pitch black humour that runs through it too. The "twist" was no real big surprise and the ending fell a bit flat for me but on the whole this is a fine time filler with a few classy moments along the way.

Lady In A Cage
Surprsingly sadistic thriller which may lack gore but certainly has plenty of atmosphere. Olivia de Havilland plays a middle aged woman who gets stuck between floors of her nice well-to-do house while James Caan (This may be his first leading role?) plays the leader of a group of particularly nasty thugs who plan to rob the house. When they see the woman's predicament they decide to terrorise her for a while. This may be tame by todays standards but it must have been a real shocker for most back in 1964. (My understanding is that it was actually banned in the UK.) As a note of interest the opening credits are a real grabber.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!