View Single Post
Old 21st August 2010, 12:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Haven't heard Inferno's synth score for years but seem to recall enjoying it the last time around.

I would most definitely put Emerson's electronic effort in third place behind the celebrated soundtracks of both Suspiria and Deep Red.
The Inferno score by Emerson features orchestral parts as well as synthesizer, it's a very diverse score and more traditional than Suspiria. In the case of Suspiria, the musical pieces were recorded by Goblin ahead and were fitted in (Morricone did this as well with a lot of his older scores). With Inferno, Emerson scored the movie scene by scene, resulting in a classical score with some of his trademark hammering.

It's comparable to John Harrison's Day of the Dead score which combined synth with guitar and was scored to fit the scenes, whereas the Goblin music for Dawn of the Dead was inserted alongside the library tracks Romero used.

I own all of the Argento scores and the Inferno one I find myself listening to the most. The mysterious quality of the opening piano theme, the energetic pieces (A Cat attic Attack's finale) and the Omen'esque Mater Tenenbrarum make for a great listen.

I'm curious to experience it in the new soundmix of the upcoming blu-ray.