Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Arnie thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1562-arnie-thread.html)

pedromonkey 20th March 2010 02:23 PM

anyone Remember Cactus Jack aka The Villain with Kirk Douglas. Arnie played a character called the Handsome Stranger. The film was great, it was like a live action looney tunes cartoon. For me though the worst film ive ever seen the guvornator in was Hercules In New York. Why does he have a fight with a man in a gorila suit in the middle of central park.

vincenzo 20th March 2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 68204)
anyone Remember Cactus Jack aka The Villain with Kirk Douglas. Arnie played a character called the Handsome Stranger.

I saw this on the cinema (as Cactus Jack) years ago doubled with Spiderman: The Dragon's Challenge. Great fun film, despite the critics snorting at it. Interestingly both Kirk Douglas and Ann Margret were originally offered roles in the brilliant Cat Ballou in the 60's.

I thought Hercules In New York should have been truly terminated. Absolute bilge. :ack:

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th March 2010 06:47 PM

I've not seen Cactus Jack (The Villain) in years,although I did watch the 'Roadrunner' scenes recently on youtube.Nearly fell off my chair with laughter :lol:

vincenzo 20th March 2010 11:29 PM

The final scene in the film (Kirk's speeded-up victory dance over the rooftops) is absolutely hilarious. :pound:

Richcrue 21st March 2010 09:57 PM

My missus is watching The Jayne Mansfeild story right now,recorded off of True movies:ack:,and who should appear.....Arnie.

vincenzo 21st March 2010 10:12 PM

Playing Mickey Hargitay of course. It would have been a better film if he'd played Jayne Mansfield though. :lol:

Vampix 29th March 2010 12:09 PM

My Director's Cut DVD of Commando popped through the letterbox on Saturday, can't wait to give this old fave a spin. :biggrin:

mercury 28th June 2010 03:24 PM

I like the Running Man alot and also Predator. I also love Jingle all the way.

wayfarer 2nd July 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 70258)
My Director's Cut DVD of Commando popped through the letterbox on Saturday, can't wait to give this old fave a spin. :biggrin:

I watched this last night after reading your post. I bought it on release, in the US whilst on holiday and forgot all about it.

The DC doesnt' appear to add much apart from at the beginning, but it was the first time watching it uncut.

It is what is; a cheesy, 80s action flick that is unintentionally funny in places. The homo-erotic overtones are almost as explicit as they are in Top Gun. Unlike Road House where one of the protagnists says "i used to F--- guys like you in prison!" there's a suprising lack of sexual taunts. Vernon (Wes) Wells seems only a step away, especially near the *ahem* climax.

I never liked Rae Dawn Chong. Her character was only good for two things; finally getting around to blowing the back off the prison truck and flying the plane. She had trouble with both tasks.

I like the juxtaposition of the twee, sugary sweet scenes with Arnie and his daughter, with the carnage in the last act.:lol:

There's some terribly lazy writing in this film. Examples that spring to mind are the scenes at the dock. Arnie and bird look for evidence as to where his daughter could be held despite the fact that all the crates are labelled "Ship to Mara Verde". Chong then states "Type 4 fuel, that's amphibian".
Say what?:lol:

Anyway, despite it not being Arnie's finest hour, it is fun.

Phats 2nd July 2010 12:29 PM

It also has one of the best end credits songs I've ever come across, We Fight For Love by Power Station. Somewhere! Somehow! Someone! :rockon:

I've been trying to watch all the movies Arnie has ever appeared in but Cactus Jack and Scavenger Hunt have been on my lovefilm for quite some time now. I did manage to see Welcome to the Jungle the other day though, where he appears for about a second near the beginning of the movie. :doh: