Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Bruce Willis Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1595-bruce-willis-thread.html)

Peter Neal 15th August 2009 05:35 PM

The Bruce Willis Thread

Strangely enough, of all the action heroes of my youth, Bruce Willis is the only one who's fallen down a few steps in my appreciation-book due to his hardliner political views:faint::pout:
That's even stranger considering that most of the Hollywood action icons past and present are outspoken republicans.
It's probably because Bruce was THE fav action lead of mine in the late 80's/early 90's. I even enjoyed his often ridiculed mid 90's flops of "Striking Distance" and "Color of Night"!:coolblue:
Getting your youthful vision of your idol tainted can provoke an allergic reaction:eyebrows:

And "Die Hard"? Very best action movie ever made. Period!:attention::attention::attention:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th August 2009 05:42 PM

THE SIXTH SENSE......SIN CITY.....classics....
Ol' Brucie is a legend along with his Cafe buddies Schwarzenegger and Stallone.:coolblue:

vincenzo 15th August 2009 06:55 PM

His performance in Planet Terror was so bizarre it was almost a spoof.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th August 2009 06:57 PM

Another Brucie great Vince....:coolblue:

spooks 15th August 2009 08:13 PM

I (rather sadly!) own his album 'return of the bruno' on vinyl and on cassette:o:makelikeatree:

vincenzo 15th August 2009 08:16 PM

I (rather insanely) bought his Under The Boardwalk single back in 1987. However in my defence I was very young at the time (21). :o

gax 15th August 2009 08:42 PM

Hudson Hawk i love that movie

Make Them Die Slowly 15th August 2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 38188)
I (rather insanely) bought his Under The Boardwalk single back in 1987. However in my defence I was very young at the time (21). :o

Why am I not surprised that you own this Vince.Are there any actors turned singers records you don't own?:)

vincenzo 15th August 2009 11:04 PM

Probably very few. :madgrin:

Peter Neal 16th August 2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooks (Post 38187)
I (rather sadly!) own his album 'return of the bruno' on vinyl and on cassette:o:makelikeatree:

What can I say. I own BOTH of his albums on CD!:laugh:

What I'd really like to see now though would be Bruce taking another serious villain role. I thought he was superb as the cold blooded assassin in "The Jackal" :coolblue:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th August 2009 04:56 PM

Yeah Peter,that was good to see.It's a bit like Tom Cruise was in Collateral..always the goody two shoes.His turn in Mann's excellent thriller was nothing short of superb.:coolblue:

BioZombie 17th August 2009 10:21 PM

Im looking forward to seeing Bruce Willis team up with Kevin Smith(directing) for the new buddy cop comedy A Couple of Dicks

Annoyingly though it looks like the title is going to have to change for marketing reason :crazy:

EmKayMadeley 30th November 2009 10:28 PM

I've liked him in all of the films I've seen him in: Die Hard, Sin City, Pulp Fiction...

Has anyone seen Twelve Monkeys? Very bizarre film which I saw recently, he's very good in it.

unclefred 2nd December 2009 06:04 AM

The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction and 12Monkeys were the films I liked the most. The Jackal was good too. If I hadn't immediately figured out the Sixth Sense I might have liked it. An under-rated one is Unbreakable with Samuel Jackson.

DeadAlive 2nd December 2009 07:45 AM

"Unbreakable" is a great film.

zombiematt 26th January 2011 05:16 PM

I noticed no love for last boy scout I always loved how he wise cracked his way through it.

pedromonkey 26th January 2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiematt (Post 124287)
I noticed no love for last boy scout I always loved how he wise cracked his way through it.

love Last Boy Scout, great film and one of Shane Black's finest screenplays.

blindfold 23rd February 2012 11:14 AM

how many films this year?

Another big year for Willis ahead... Hope it's one of quality!

blindfold 23rd February 2012 11:23 AM

Willis Retrospectives on Filmwerk

Here is the Bruce Willis Retrospective series on Filmwerk: A whole bunch of films covered here:
Filmwerk ยป Willis

enjoy!

Bringer Of Funerals 29th February 2012 06:38 PM

I never classed Bruce Willis to be an action star (like Van Damme etc) because he did a lot of different genres - action, comedy, (recently horror with Grindhouse)

Stephen@Cult Labs 29th February 2012 07:04 PM

Willis was always a comedy actor as far as I was concerned, having nown him best fir Moonlighting and the movie Blind Date, but he's equally at home in action movies, and of course, starring in one of the greatest action movies of all time, Did Hard.

Prince_Vajda 29th February 2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 220983)
Willis was always a comedy actor as far as I was concerned, having nown him best fir Moonlighting and the movie Blind Date, but he's equally at home in action movies, and of course, starring in one of the greatest action movies of all time, Did Hard.

Yep, Die Hard is an excellent movie with a fine Bruce Willis performance.
I really liked him in R.E.D., too! :)

Greetings!

Nordicdusk 29th February 2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 221010)
Yep, Die Hard is an excellent movie with a fine Bruce Willis performance.
I really liked him in R.E.D., too! :)

Greetings!

R.E.D was great film. I went in knowing not a thing about it. I was very happy with the result.

TJ Doc 5th October 2012 12:46 PM

Bumpedy Bump:

A Good Day to Die Hard - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube

PaulD 5th October 2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Doc (Post 279217)

There's nothing in that trailer that makes it look like a Die Hard film. It really just look like "higher budget Bruce Willis action flick"

James Morton 5th October 2012 04:15 PM

DIE HARD 123 but 4 was disappointing
hes good in some of his films

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th October 2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 279268)
There's nothing in that trailer that makes it look like a Die Hard film. It really just look like "higher budget Bruce Willis action flick"

Looks and sounds more like a Die Hard film than Live Free Or Die Hard.

PaulD 5th October 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 279277)
Looks and sounds more like a Die Hard film than Live Free Or Die Hard.

True.

Bringer Of Funerals 6th October 2012 10:18 AM

They will probs rename it for the UK anyway to Die Hard 5 or Die Hard V

Slippery Jack 6th October 2012 10:10 PM

Die Hardest ... ?

Susan Foreman 7th October 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 279514)
They will probs rename it for the UK anyway to Die Hard 5 or Die Hard V

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 279633)
Die Hardest ... ?

'Die (Sarah) Harding'?

Bringer Of Funerals 14th August 2013 12:50 PM

Bruce Willis seems to be becoming a nob - unless its the way the media are protraying him

Susan Foreman 14th August 2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 358747)
Bruce Willis seems to be becoming a nob - unless its the way the media are protraying him

BBC News - Bruce Willis Sky broadband advert banned

Rik 14th August 2013 05:40 PM

It's also misleading by saying you'll get a decent service from them, they're ****ing shite and are one nasty phone call away from me cancelling my entire package!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th August 2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358775)
It's also misleading by saying you'll get a decent service from them, they're ****ing shite and are one nasty phone call away from me cancelling my entire package!

I always threaten to change to Virgin Media (which to be fair are A LOT shittier than Sky - as my mother will attest to), and that usually does the trick - I've managed to get a couple of good deals that way. :nod:

Bringer Of Funerals 1st April 2014 02:51 PM

I watched the TOP 40 ACTION MOVIES CHART that was on CH5 hosted my Vinnie Jones (who was terrible) and DIE HARD was number one.

Would you say that was the ultimate action film or not?

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 398645)
DIE HARD.

Would you say that was the ultimate action film or not?

Definitely one of them.

The first two Die Hard films, Cliffhanger, True Lies and Speed are all classics of the pure action genre.

Bringer Of Funerals 30th January 2015 06:30 PM

When i was a kid, I just loved this guy and his movies,but in the last couple of years his career went from great to making 3rd rate movies, I just don't get it...Maybe somebody's gotta call his agent and say something about it, because his movies are getting worse and worse...Come on Bruce make some great movies again...we're counting on you...

pachinko852 1st February 2015 11:00 AM

Are the newer Die Hard movies worth watching?

I recently rewatched the original three films, loved them :pop2:
but wasn't sure about the Live Free and Good Day..

I saw the newer Rambo and Rocky films and they were crap lol so was just wondering if I should bother with the
fourth and fifth DH films

Bringer Of Funerals 1st February 2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pachinko852 (Post 434104)
Are the newer Die Hard movies worth watching?

I recently rewatched the original three films, loved them :pop2:
but wasn't sure about the Live Free and Good Day..

I saw the newer Rambo and Rocky films and they were crap lol so was just wondering if I should bother with the
fourth and fifth DH films

4.0 is quite good actually.