Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   What Shaw Brothers films do you have? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/2672-what-shaw-brothers-films-do-you-have.html)

wongfeihung62 5th April 2010 08:39 PM

What Shaw Brothers films do you have?

I have about 50 IVL Shaw movies, what titles have you got?

Gigantor 6th April 2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 71840)

I never knew Wong Fei Hung from Essex?:lol:

I cleared over 100 of them a couple years ago,Im always on the look for SB movies my self.I wont ask you to name all your DVDs but what are yoour favorites that you have?What lesser known films do you have?What ones are you looking for/wanting to pick up next?

wongfeihung62 7th April 2010 04:51 PM

My favourites are pretty much anything with the Venoms in them. My fave directors are Chang Cheh and Liu Chia Liang. I admit to preferring the kung fu titles more than the swordplay ones although I love both.
I need to compose a list of titles that I am after. Should hopefully pick some more up this weekend.

DeadAlive 7th April 2010 05:14 PM

I only have a dozen or so Shaws at the moment but there are quite a few on my to buy list. Seen a lot more of them though. I'm just late getting into buying them because for a long time my interest was more in the Golden Harvest and independantly made kung fu films. The Venoms films are great, especially Crippled Avengers and Masked Avengers.

Gigantor 10th May 2010 08:25 PM

For all of those out there who like SB (or Asian movies in general)movies you should definitely check out HONG KONG GODFATHER

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00347AK06?tag=imdb-adbox

There has been several crappy and/or cut versions of this film in the pat but it's finally getting a proper uncut release on DVD,Check it out, Hands down one of if not THE greatest Asian Gangster films.

DeadAlive 10th May 2010 08:47 PM

A few people have already recommended that one. It's on my to get list. :nod:

Gigantor 11th May 2010 04:38 AM

:rockon:
Cool! You won't be disappointed!

Arrrrrrrach 18th May 2010 10:31 PM

Just ordered that myself after watching a bit of the finale on ewetube; holy fack!
At the moment, I really really really really need to get me a copy of Secret Service of the Imperial Court, but it's apparently OOP. GADDAMN!!!

Arrrrrrrach 18th May 2010 10:38 PM

Oh yeah, recenlty bought:

The Spiritual Boxer
Death Duel
Heroes Two
The Heroic Ones
Magnificent Trio
King Boxer
Battle Wizard (WOW!) R1
Holy Flame of the Martial World R1
FDV R1
(Anyone know what happened to all of the other scheduled R2 Momentum Asia SB releases?)

have on order:

Five Element Ninjas R1
HKG R1
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung R1
The Delightful Forest R1

DeadAlive 19th May 2010 07:00 AM

Nice lists there. Gonna order Hong Kong Godfather at the end of the month. (Payday.;) ) I'm on a serious cut back at the moment with my buying due to a massive backlog of things to watch, but I can't resist picking this one up. I'll probably pick up Anthony Wong in Taxi Hunter while I'm at it. It's not a Shaws, but it has been long OOP and by all accounts a minor masteclass of acting from Anthony.

BioZombie 19th May 2010 11:44 AM

I saw One Armed Swords Man yesterday. I really enjoyed it but there wasnt as much sword play action as I thought there might be. I also have Opium and the Kung Fu Masters sitting at home to watch as well.

Gigantor 23rd May 2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 80085)
I saw One Armed Swords Man yesterday. I really enjoyed it but there wasnt as much sword play action as I thought there might be. I also have Opium and the Kung Fu Masters sitting at home to watch as well.

That came out 43years ago .Compared to movies now it's not as violent but back in the day.:woot:

Go watch Opium and the Kung Fu Masters now!!!!

BioZombie 23rd May 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 80790)
That came out 43years ago .Compared to movies now it's not as violent but back in the day.:woot:

Go watch Opium and the Kung Fu Masters now!!!!

I watched it the other night and it is one of the best kung fu films I have ever seen. The story is just fantastic and I love the fact that they dont just treat the issue of drug use as a black/white good/evil thing. Plus the fighting is top notch!!!!

Tonight I will be watching Five Deadly Venoms (I have high hopes for this one).

wongfeihung62 23rd May 2010 08:17 PM

You wont be dissapointed with "The Venoms".

Gigantor 24th May 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 80813)
I watched it the other night and it is one of the best kung fu films I have ever seen. The story is just fantastic and I love the fact that they dont just treat the issue of drug use as a black/white good/evil thing. Plus the fighting is top notch!!!!

Tonight I will be watching Five Deadly Venoms (I have high hopes for this one).

Glad to see you liked Opium and the Kung Fu Masters .I liked it as well.Yeah you won't be disappointed with Five Deadly Venoms.

Gigantor 24th May 2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 80802)
Shaws? On DVD? At last count I had 403 titles from what was commercially released. No bootlegs. No half-arsed PanMedia (nee: HK Flix) "grey market" editions...isn't "grey market" just another way of saying "pirated copy"? Yeah, I won't support piracy in any form.

Anyway, all originals -- majority thereof the HK IVL releases, but a good whack of Singaporean editions on the Scorpio East label as well (picked up for next to no money at all when I was in Malaysia a few months back).

I'm slowly getting through them all...but there's only so many hours in a day... ;)

Just finding out all the titles is enough to give one brain damage let alone actually hunt them all down.Fun trying though

Inspector Tanzi 24th May 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 71840)

I have 517 at the moment, I'm trying to get all the Region 3 Hong Kong IVL releases.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 03:12 AM

517!!!???!!! NICE!

Everytime i go to HK iu try to pick up as many of the SB DVDS I can.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 03:38 AM

Yeah A LOT of the titles went OOP very shortly after being released and the sad thing is I doubt they will ever be released again.While I have a handful of the Huangmei Operas DVDS don't bother with those at all.Along with with some of the SB drama dvds.As I watch more and more of The SB movieas I start to realise not everything produced by the SB Studios was great.There are a few turds in there but then as most people know they made hundreds upon hundreds of film so it was bound to happen.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 10:28 AM

Some of the dramas are really good, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of them.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 81084)
From memory, of the 760 titles that HK company Celestial Pictures own there's only about 500 odd out of the package that they made available to licence out for home video release to distributors like IVL, Scorpio East etc.

If I've got it right IVL released 582, I've got 517 at the moment and if I haven't messed it up and am missing some i have 65 still to get on my wants list.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 81086)
Yep! Although the Shaw Studios get gushed about by (predominantly kungfu) fanboys all over the internet, since the library finally started to see legitimate release on DVD commencing December '02, like any major studio they definitely harboured their fare share of turkeys -- and there's some of those selfsame kungfu "classics" that line up as prime examples.

Indeed, a lot of their late period productions from the eighties, before they folded their theatrical wing circa '85, were pretty dire (the late eighties through mid-nineties productions don't really count, as the majority of what ended up released on DVD were actually films from Mona Fong's Cosmopolitan Films company re-branded with the Shaw Brothers logo as "genuine" Shaw titles -- they weren't, but as Fong was Sir Run Run's business partner and spouse, her company's productions appear to have reverted ownership to Shaw once it, too, folded). Titles like Godfather from Canton and Carry On Doctors and Nurses are low-tier B-flicks that seem more like program fillers, as well as dated relics, when viewed from a contemporary standpoint.

I enjoyed a lot of the non-genre stuff from the sixties (ie: the operas, dramas, weepies, musicals etc.), but I readily admit that few of those really hold up for modern viewers unless you're really a diehard nostalgia buff or harbour a strong interest in HK cinema history of the era.

I absolutely love te SB s Kung Fu stuff but I find most of their really fun stuff is outside the Kung Fu genre.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 05:53 PM

Have you seen SONS OF GOOD EARTH or MOODS OF LOVE?

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:01 PM

I have MOODS OF LOVE but haven't watched it yet

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81330)
I have MOODS OF LOVE but haven't watched it yet

It's two stories, the first one is so so but the second one is fantastic, all I'll say is poor Chen Ping, she does go through a lot in some Shaw productions;)

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:29 PM

I seen that film not giving away any spoilers away as it happens in the beginning but the second story is where she stabs the madam in the street several times yes?Decent film but I wanted a more brutal death for the lady.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81346)
I seen that film not giving away any spilers away as it happens in the beginning but the second story is where she stabs the madam in the street several times yes?Decent film but I wanted a more brutal death for the lady.

Sure is, I really felt for Chen Ping though.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 81351)
Sure is, I really felt for Chen Ping though.

Yes thats why i was hoping for more of a punishing brutal death for the old Madam.Yeah this film was alright some of the multi story releases from SB are a little all over .

42ndStreetFreak 25th May 2010 06:51 PM

I have these on VHS/DVD-R

"The Killer" (not Chow!)
"Chinese Boxer"
"Shanghai 13"
"The Assassin"
"One-Armed Swordsman"
"Deadly Duo"

And these on DVD:

"Return One-Armed Swordsman"
"New One-Armed Swordsman"
"The Water Margin"
"All Men Are Brothers"
"Eight Diagram Pole Fighter"
"Five Elemental Ninja"
"Golden Swallow"
"Heroes Two"
"Heroic Ones"
"The Magic Blade"
"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan"
"Vengeance!"
"Bamboo House of Dolls"
"Killer Snakes"

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 81359)
"The Killer" (not Chow!)
"Chinese Boxer"
"Shanghai 13"
"The Assassin"
"One-Armed Swordsman"
"Deadly Duo"

And these on DVD:

"Return One-Armed Swordsman"
"New One-Armed Swordsman"
"The Water Margin"
"All Men Are Brothers"
"Eight Diagram Pole Fighter"
"Five Elemental Ninja"
"Golden Swallow"
"Heroes Two"
"Heroic Ones"
"The Magic Blade"
"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan"
"Vengeance!"
"Bamboo House of Dolls"
"Killer Snakes"

Which ones have you watched?

42ndStreetFreak 25th May 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81360)
Which ones have you watched?

All of 'em.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 07:03 PM

Lots of fun movies on your list,I haven't seen Shanghai 13 What did you think of it?

42ndStreetFreak 25th May 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81365)
Lots of fun movies on your list,I haven't seen Shanghai 13 though

That's lots of fun. Gets a rather bad rep though.

Basically it's a showcase for Shaw's talent where they each play a person helping the lead character.
Basically he's told to get help from X, X helps him, baddies arrive, X dies defending him...onto the next helper. Basically human stepping stones.

Simple plot, but as such you get to see a lot of skilled fighters/actors each having their own kick ass set-piece, before moving onto the next one.

Features the likes of Ti Lung, Andy Lau, Wang Yu, Sing Chen, Danny Lee, Leung Kar Yan, David Chiang.

Cheap, not shot on Shaw's sets, but fun, star packed and bloody.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

"The Killer" (not Chow!)

I prefer the other title for it "Sacred Knives of Vengeance"

These is no dvd release but I'm looking for the Dutch vhs, I have the U.K. Warner tape but it's slightly cut by those scumbags at the BBFC.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

"Bamboo House of Dolls"

One of the best exploitation films out there in my eyes.

I love the way they use Morricone's "Garden of delights" in the opening credits.

Inspector Tanzi 26th May 2010 12:36 PM

Watched the Wellgo blu ray of THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST, this has got to be the best Shaw blu ray I have seen so far, beautiful looking print, looks like it could have been filmed yesterday!

Gigantor 26th May 2010 02:58 PM

Its weird after Celestial pictures announced that they were giing to be releasing the SB library I was certian there would be a lot of talk/mention of BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS but i have heard absolutely nothing about it at all.

How are the WELLGO DVD Releases?
Are they any good?
Do they have any extras?

Inspector Tanzi 26th May 2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81659)
Its weird after Celestial pictures announced that they were giing to be releasing the SB library I was certian there would be a lot of talk/mention of BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS but i have heard absolutely nothing about it at all.

How are the WELLGO DVD Releases?
Are they any good?
Do they have any extras?

I haven't got any WELLGO DVD releases, all I have are the three blu rays, all they have are trailers.

42ndStreetFreak 27th May 2010 07:31 AM

Nice work. Very true.
This really started when DVD came.

DVD was the best thing to happen to horror for decades.
BUT, along with the internet, it made hunting down OOP films on dusty old tapes from boxes under a stall pretty much redundant.
And they were fun times. Crucial times in a collector's life.

And yes, once seen by the general masses many films lost their shine and yes, many were just shown to be not that good anyway...a thing of basic perspective and changing times.

We were not spoilt so much once, so any sneaky thrill found in a box or found in the zine classifieds, no matter how actually good, elevated that thrill to heights perhaps above it's real worth.

Plus newer, easier to shoot on video and market on The Net, straight to DVD, exploitation actually became much more extreme so the likes of "August Underground" (in America at least just as easy to get on DVD as a Shaw Bros horror film) pushed aside the likes of "Bamboo House of Dolls" in the 'must see content' stakes.

Double edged swords and all that.

Inspector Tanzi 27th May 2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 81897)
Bamboo House of Dolls is a great example of all of the above -- while it was obscure it was this legendary WIP shocker that pushed the envelope against all of its sub-genre, but once it was eventually released in legitimate form...well, no-one seemed interested in it anymore... ;)

Personally it's my favourite Women in Prison film.

Besides pre 2002 I'd only seen maybe 15 or so Shaw films.