Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Van Damme Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/4968-van-damme-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 197359)
I sought out the Universal DVD especially. This is all a little irrelevant if you have a Blu-ray player! I've no intention of upgrading though.

Van Damme worked with some dependable or great directors (Woo, Hark, Lam, Hyams, Emmerich), which is quite unusual for a not-quite A-list action actor. I suppose he was kind of mid-field - bellow the likes of Schwarzenegger and Stallone but above Lundgren and Seagal.

He's been in some enjoyable films.

The only Van Damme movies I own and have seen,I think are Universal Soldier and No Retreat No Surrender.

Paul@TheOverlook 14th November 2011 09:16 PM

Get watching some more!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 10:32 PM

Just watched Missing in Action. JCVD was a stuntman on that, never noticed him though.

Pete 14th November 2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 197719)
Just watched Missing in Action. JCVD was a stuntman on that, never noticed him though.

You see that piece of wood floating by in one scene...:D

:behindsofa:

Paul@TheOverlook 14th November 2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Wasn't he a stunt double (for the alien) on Predator too?

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 197722)

Bit of an urban legend that.

He was cast initially but pulled out when he found out he would not receive an acting credit.

Paul@TheOverlook 15th November 2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 197727)
Bit of an urban legend that.

He was cast initially but pulled out when he found out he would not receive an acting credit.

Ah!

Bringer Of Funerals 15th November 2011 01:02 PM

He played a tree in Predator

Splatterdragon73 15th November 2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

I believe the scene in question is after Dillon (Carl Weathers) has his arm blown off. We see a shot of the Predator in camouflage sprinting towards his doomed human prey and apparently, Van The Man is the guy playing the relevant alien antagonist. Now, i have no idea if it is indeed the Belgian badass evident in this moment. But whoever is portraying the Predator runs in a very similar manner to Van Damme imo.

I never liked Black Eagle. Such a tantalising prospect Van Damme versus Sho Kosugi but the end result was one very damp squib. Terrible!

Yours truly can’t imagine why nobody’s mentioned Monaco Forever.:rolleyes:

The 4th Fella 15th November 2011 08:41 PM

I've got a few JCVD films on dvd

Universal Soldier
Nowhere To Run
Hard Target
Sudden Death
Maximum Risk
Double Team
Universal Soldier: The Return
Replicant
The Order
Derailed
In Hell
Wake Of Death
Second In Command
The Hard Corps
Until Death
The Shepherd
JCVD
Universal Soldier: Regeneration
Assassination Games

I prefer JCVD to Seagall, Lundgren etc...

Phurious 16th November 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

He was a chauffeur quite close to the beginning of the film - I think you see the back of his head (unsurprisingly).

Andra Jai 18th November 2011 04:49 PM

just received Legionnaire on blu ray from Germany, apparently it has a brand new transfer which is supposed to be stunning.

its same the company that released the wild geese on blu ray and the transfer on that was remarkable so it should make decent viewing tomorrow evening

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th November 2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 198540)
just received Legionnaire on blu ray from Germany, apparently it has a brand new transfer which is supposed to be stunning.

its same the company that released the wild geese on blu ray and the transfer on that was remarkable so it should make decent viewing tomorrow evening

Let us know what you think of it. Might pick up Legionnare on blu at some point. I picked up the Italian edition of Maximum Risk, as it's one of the few to use the original unaltered artwork (the UK cover adds a big exposion to behind Van Damme and Henstridge, and the less said about the US artwork, the better!).

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c021c60-9c86-f2a0.jpg

Andra Jai 18th November 2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 198542)
Let us know what you think of it. Might pic up Legionnare on blu at some point.

Sure will do, I will probably do a full review of it if i get a chance but ill post back here tomorrow with my first thoughts on it.

If they have given this one the same care that they gave their wild geese blu ray, it should be good.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th November 2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah a chunky piece of rubber.......:behindsofa:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th November 2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 198087)
He was a chauffeur quite close to the beginning of the film - I think you see the back of his head (unsurprisingly).

Which was quite appropriate,as now he's driving a taxi for a living......:behindsofa: :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th November 2011 07:17 AM

However,his next venture with De Niro should bring him back into the limelight somewhat....:nod:

Splatterdragon73 19th November 2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 198087)
He was a chauffeur.

I'm sure i recall reading somewhere many moons ago that Van Damme was actually employed as a driver before he hit the big time. 'The Muscles From Brussels' also apparently worked as a Carpet Layer and Bouncer too.:)

Andra Jai 19th November 2011 05:09 PM

Well ive just watched the German import of legionnare on blu ray, and Ascot Elite have really done the film proud.

they have provided a brand new transfer which is really detailed and is easily the best the film has ever looked. The audio is represented with German and Englsih options, both of which are decent affairs.

With no forced subtitles and a reversible cover, the blu-ray is certainly an English friendly release

On the minus side, personally I found that the film hadn't aged that well, but that may be me rembering it through rose tinted specs.

Whether or not it is a keeper for me, remains to be seen, however if I decide not to keep it, this will be down to the film iteself and nothing to do with the presentation which is another solid effort from the German distributor.

For anyone that wants to pick this up it can be purchased throguh amazon.de

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd November 2011 08:30 PM

I watched UNIVERSAL SOLDIER BD all the way through the other night,and was pleasantly surprised! :clap:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd November 2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 199617)
I watched UNIVERSAL SOLDIER BD all the way through the other night,and was pleasantly surprised! :clap:

That your first time seeing the whole fim? Lundgren is great and Van "what accent?" Damme aint too shabby either.

Phurious 24th November 2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

I always found Universal Soldier quite dull, which is odd as it has two amazing action stars in it. Maybe it's something I need to revisit? Aren't there 3 (or 4) films in the franchise now?

antmumford 24th November 2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 199667)
I always found Universal Soldier quite dull, which is odd as it has two amazing action stars in it. Maybe it's something I need to revisit? Aren't there 3 (or 4) films in the franchise now?

There's three out so far with the fourth due out next year including Van Damme although there were two TV Movie sequels that didn't star Van Damme. In fact I forgot to post but I watched Universal Soldier: Regeneration (the third one) just the other week and it was really good. Some of the fight scenes were superb and there was a brilliant action/fight sequence that lasted a fair few minutes only using one long tracking shot in one take that was brilliantly executed. Well worth checking out IMO. :nod:

Bringer Of Funerals 25th November 2011 05:12 PM

And it stars a UFC fighter who can act

I enjoyed Regeneration but I found you could see it had a low budget

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th November 2011 03:44 PM

I still haven't seen Regeneration. Better get me skates on before the next one is released!

Splatterdragon73 27th November 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

I watched the UNIVERSAL SOLDIER BD all the way through the other night,and was pleasantly surprised! :clap:

Glad to hear it and the film is one of both Van Damme and Lundgren's best imo. Well worth watching and owning. I do also hope your BR is the superior U.S. release and not Optimum's damp squib of an edition.:tsk:

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th November 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 200254)
I do also hope your BR is the superior U.S. release and not Optimum's damp squib of an edition.:tsk:

The US disc is the way to go. Nice extras and good artwork.

Andra Jai 27th November 2011 06:20 PM

for anyone that's interested I have just uploaded a full review of the German Legionnaire Blu-ray on the Blu-ray reviews thread.

Splatterdragon73 28th November 2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 200325)
The US disc is the way to go. Nice extras and good artwork.

Blows the lousy and lazy Optimum BR right outta the water!:nod:

Bringer Of Funerals 9th December 2011 05:59 PM

Has anyone seen Assassination games

Scyther 16th December 2011 07:24 PM

I'm guilty of enjoying JCVD movies probably a bit more than anyone should, having grown up with the likes of Bloodsport Hard Target Double Impact and Timecop.

I thought JCVD was a legitimately excellent film, and I also rather enjoyed the OTT nature (and Pat Morita factor) of Desert Heat...although the two birds JC :censored: with in that film probably had something to do with that, as well. :woot:

kingofwitches666 21st December 2011 12:50 PM

My latest JCVD blu purchase....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Image & sound are pretty decent, it is bare bones with exception of three trailers (I did only pay £7.99 for it). As for the film itself, the editing is pretty frenetic in places & some of the special effects are quite laughable (especially the train models!) but despite it all, I really enjoyed it.

Don't know what it is about JCVD, but I just find his films infinitely more watchable & enjoyable than say.. Seagal.

Can't wait to catch his turn in The Expendables 2 & of course Universal Soldier: A New Dimension with the brilliant Scott Adkins. :)

blindfold 23rd February 2012 11:25 AM

Van Dammage retrospective series on Filmwerk

Here is the HUGE Van Damme Retrospective series on Filmwerk

20 films covered!

Filmwerk » Van Damme

enjoy!

The 4th Fella 29th February 2012 09:52 PM

I was pleased to see Assassination Games get a positive write-up, as it's one of my favourite JCVD films. :cool:

Nordicdusk 1st March 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 4th Fella (Post 221022)
I was pleased to see Assassination Games get a positive write-up, as it's one of my favourite JCVD films. :cool:

I only just got that film last week and i will agree its a fantastic film.

Drakie79 25th March 2012 02:42 PM

Want to see Assassination Games, but when I looked online it was alittle expensive for a dvd, any leads on the best prices?

Nordicdusk 25th March 2012 03:10 PM

Its on play.com for €8.99 so is that about 6 pound maybe. I paid €10 for it and it was well worth that price.

Drakie79 26th March 2012 02:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. Went and bought it too!

Nordicdusk 26th March 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 226734)
Thanks for the reply. Went and bought it too!

No worries its a great film i really enjoyed it let us know what you think when you get around to it. Enjoy :)

Andra Jai 26th March 2012 04:08 PM

I just bought The Quest on blu-ray and apart from some truly cringe worthy cheesy acting from James Remar (shouting YEAH!!!!! every time Van Damme takes someone down) the film still holds up well.

Just need to get Death Warrant, Sudden Death and Cyborg out on Blu-ray now