Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Deranged and Squirm from Arrow! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/10507-deranged-squirm-arrow.html)

Mojo 11th February 2013 10:59 AM

Deranged and Squirm from Arrow!

Yes folks! Just received my copy of The Lickerish Quartet from Amazon and inside is a leaflet stating that both Deranged and Squirm are coming in 2013 from Arrow on dvd and Blu-ray. Fantastic! :woot:

hallo37 11th February 2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 320764)
Yes folks! Just received my copy of The Lickerish Quartet from Amazon and inside is a leaflet stating that both Deranged and Squirm are coming in 2013 from Arrow on dvd and Blu-ray. Fantastic! :woot:

Deranged is just that - Deranged! Never seen Squirm though.

PaulD 11th February 2013 11:04 AM

High Rising said they were going to be doing a rural horror-type feature for a forthcoming release so that makes sense now. Great news!

SilverGunnar Hansen 11th February 2013 11:04 AM

I'm starting to wonder if me finally getting R1 releases of films I've always wanted to see is a karmic catalyst for Arrow releasing them in fancy new editions in this country - finally bought Deranged last month, and now this news! Loved it though so I'll happily double-dip for a spanky release, especially if it's uncut. Squirm will be getting bought too, not amazing but lots of fun, got a real soft spot for killer beasty films!

darthelvis 11th February 2013 11:13 AM

Excellent news, both day 1 purchases for me!

Daemonia 11th February 2013 12:14 PM

Providing Arrow do a good job on them, then I'll be having both of these. Seems like they really are in bed with MGM. Good. Hopefully they'll be able to get some other goodies out of them. I'm hoping for a new Blu/DVD of Raw Meat/Death Line. I'd like the Corman/Price Poe films too, but I have a feeling MGM won't be letting those go so easily.

Splatterdragon73 11th February 2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 320787)
Providing Arrow do a good job on them, then I'll be having both of these. Seems like they really are in bed with MGM. Good. Hopefully they'll be able to get some other goodies out of them. I'm hoping for a new Blu/DVD of Raw Meat/Death Line.

A man after my own heart and my pre-orders for the relevant two titles will be submitted when the nearest opportunity arises. I just hope these releases will be fault-free!:)

Dave Boy 11th February 2013 01:09 PM

Nice one !
I haven't seen Squirm since I had the Super 8mm version some years ago.

Splatterdragon73 11th February 2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 320817)
I haven't seen Squirm since I had the Super 8mm version some years ago.

Yours truly snapped up MGM's R1 DVD years ago and it's still sealed!:blush:

Mojo 11th February 2013 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 320772)
Excellent news, both day 1 purchases for me!

Me too! Can somebody from Arrow confirm both these will be Blu-ray?

Anyway, here is said leaflet for all the good folks on here. A couple more Tinto Brass movies ( Frivolous Lola and Cheeky are on the way too ).

Attachment 99686

Daemonia 11th February 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 320827)
Anyway, here is said leaflet for all the good folks on here. A couple more Tinto Brass movies ( Frivolous Lola and Cheeky are on the way too )

I see a Tinto Brass Boxset in Arrow's future.

Mojo 11th February 2013 03:59 PM

By the way, if one of the mods wants to merge this into the 'new announcements' thread feel free. I should have put it there in the first place! :blush:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 05:57 PM

Yeah I bought TLQ as well Moj to see what it's like before committing to the other two.
Squirm and Deranged are welcome additions to the HD market!:nod:

Nordicdusk 11th February 2013 06:01 PM

When i saw this first i taught squirm fest for some reason glad its not that arrow are releasing :lol:

bgart13 11th February 2013 06:06 PM

SQUIRM is a great gross-out movie! Not for the faint of heart and worm-haters.

Peter Neal 11th February 2013 06:45 PM

I still very much need to catch up with "Squirm", so this is very good news to me. :popcorn:

Hawkmonger 11th February 2013 06:59 PM

Squirm 1976? The one on MST3K?! Excelent! That was one of my favourate movies they did, genuinly enjoyable on it's own as well. A day one purchase. Shame on me for never seeing Derganed but i'll give it a viewing.:clap:

the blob 11th February 2013 07:23 PM

Time to offload my Squirm DVD. :)

isn't this all rather defeating their secrecy objective???

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 07:54 PM

Hmm dunno Blob,I like that artwork on the US DVD!:happy:

Let's hope Deranged is the full uncut version.
I'll just hold on to me German dvd for the moment.:nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 320944)
Hmm dunno Blob,I like that artwork on the US DVD!:happy:

Surely you jest? The artwork for the Arrow disc looks good, and I'm guessing we'll get get this original poster artwork on the reverse.

Attachment 99714

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 08:25 PM

The Arrow package is a must.
But as I say,I'll hold on to the old MGM disc as well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 09:07 PM

The less said about the Deranged artwork the better.

platostotal 11th February 2013 09:28 PM

Didn't Deranged lose some gore when first released? I seem to recall it ran into trouble with MPAA/distribution company and got the snip, I saw it in it's U.K.'x' form in 81, A pretty good flick, nice to see an Arrow release, Squirm looked pretty bad(p.q. wise) last time I saw it ages ago(first gen vhs), don't know if it's worthy of an HD release, haven't seen the dvd tho.

Zann 12th February 2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 320977)
Didn't Deranged lose some gore when first released? I seem to recall it ran into trouble with MPAA/distribution company and got the snip, I saw it in it's U.K.'x' form in 81, A pretty good flick, nice to see an Arrow release, Squirm looked pretty bad(p.q. wise) last time I saw it ages ago(first gen vhs), don't know if it's worthy of an HD release, haven't seen the dvd tho.

Certainly the US DVD doublebill w/ Motel Hell misses the brain scooping, there's a good uncut German DVD available though.

Splatterdragon73 12th February 2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 320827)
Me too! Can somebody from Arrow confirm both these will be Blu-ray?

Yours truly can imagine Squirm making it to BR but not Deranged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 320894)
SQUIRM is a great gross-out movie! Not for the faint of heart and worm-haters.

The film's bound to put you off Spaghetti for a good while too imo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 320944)
I like that artwork on the US DVD!

So do i and the tagline's good too:

'The night is crawling with killers.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 320951)
The Arrow package is a must.
But as I say, I'll hold on to the old MGM disc as well.

Agreed and i'll be keeping my U.S. DVD too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 320992)
Certainly the US DVD doublebill w/ Motel Hell misses the brain scooping, there's a good uncut German DVD available though.

Yours truly owns both these releases but will still go for Arrow's edition.:)

demonknight 12th February 2013 08:12 AM

Deranged and Squirm in HD great news
Both will be mine :clap:

medwaygarage 12th February 2013 08:16 AM

Yes, i also hope Arrow include the 'brain scooping' scene in 'Deranged' maybe an option to watch the film in HD with or without it.Seems unlikely that footage exists in HD, the German dvd included it in much lesser quality, a VHS insert.....however i seem to recall when 'Exploited Films' released their VHS of it, it was included in decent quality, they released some of their titles under the radar in uncut editions in certain quarters....a certain shop in London being one !

I hope they include 'Squirm' in widescreen AND unmatted, some nudity matted off screen on the old US dvd :pop2:

SilverGunnar Hansen 12th February 2013 09:13 AM

Man, I wish Arrow still did posters for their releases (some of them anyway), would love to have that original Squirm artwork on the wall, although I'd be hard pushed to choose between that and the new art, would also be great to have an old-school Deranged poster. Does anyone know if the slipcases for Black Sunday and Lisa have posters, like the ZFE slipcases did? The posters have been a big deciding factor for me double-dipping in the past.

PaulD 12th February 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverGunnar Hansen (Post 321012)
. Does anyone know if the slipcases for Black Sunday and Lisa have posters, like the ZFE slipcases did? The posters have been a big deciding factor for me double-dipping in the past.

No, just the booklet and one of those Arrow postcards

SilverGunnar Hansen 12th February 2013 09:27 AM

I'd actually rather have posters than booklets - I love both, but once you've read the book you rarely return to it, and the writing could be included on the DVD, perhaps with the soundtrack playing in the background, or even as a PDF.

Vampix 12th February 2013 09:55 AM

I'll definitely pick up Deranged, it's a great little film.I haven't seen Squirm in a long time though and can't remember whether I liked it all that much when I did.I've got the MGM flipper disc with both Deranged and Motel Hell on it.The print of Deranged on that DVD is very nice but, as some have pointed out, slightly cut.I think I would rather have the missing gore footage as an extra on any DVD/BD that's made available, especially if it's in rough shape, than inserted into a nice looking print of the film.I've heard the inserted footage on the German DVD is quite jarring, when compared to the rest of the film.Like Daemonia, I'd love to see Arrow release a special edition of Death Line (aka Raw Meat). :nod:

saw 12th February 2013 11:08 AM

Deranged's a cult classic and the only way to do it justice is to present it fully uncut. I don't mind that the brain-scooping scene is from an inferior source, I just want it to be included in the film.

Has anyone from Arrow confirmed whether these films will be (a) uncut and (b) on blu-ray?

Rik 12th February 2013 11:32 AM

I knew they'd release Deranged as soon as Motel Hell was announced. I'll definitely pick it up if it's fully uncut and loaded with extras, otherwise I'll stick with my German DVD

Susan Foreman 13th February 2013 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'Squirm'?

I used to have the novelisation of that. As a child, the front cover really excited and scared me

As an adult, it sickens me, and is laughable!

Susan Foreman 14th February 2013 01:02 AM

As predicted on Jan 19th, 2013:

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 313915)
Why can't it be an early Savini, like 'Dead of Night' or 'Deranged'?

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/313915-post117.html

She shoots, she scores!

ecc 14th February 2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 321022)
I'll definitely pick up Deranged, it's a great little film.I haven't seen Squirm in a long time though and can't remember whether I liked it all that much when I did.I've got the MGM flipper disc with both Deranged and Motel Hell on it.The print of Deranged on that DVD is very nice but, as some have pointed out, slightly cut.I think I would rather have the missing gore footage as an extra on any DVD/BD that's made available, especially if it's in rough shape, than inserted into a nice looking print of the film.I've heard the inserted footage on the German DVD is quite jarring, when compared to the rest of the film.Like Daemonia, I'd love to see Arrow release a special edition of Death Line (aka Raw Meat). :nod:

When MGM prepared their HD master, they borrowed the director's print (which I believe was used for the Moore Video US tape release from which the German DVD sourced its cut footage) and retransferred (and cleaned up) the cut footage in HD. It's not part of the HD master but the clip was designed so it could be dropped into the cut version (including some in-context footage before and after to try to smooth over the quality difference).

saw 14th February 2013 05:36 PM

deranged

How likely are Arrow to go to the trouble of reinstating the uncensored footage into their MGM HD master? This release will be flawed otherwise.

ecc 14th February 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saw (Post 321548)
How likely are Arrow to go to the trouble of reinstating the uncensored footage into their MGM HD master? This release will be flawed otherwise.

They do have the footage.

saw 14th February 2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 321551)
They do have the footage.

But will they reinstate it into the film rather than include it as an extra, ie will their release be fully uncut?

SilverGunnar Hansen 14th February 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saw (Post 321561)
But will they reinstate it into the film rather than include it as an extra, ie will their release be fully uncut?

I'd rather they integrated it into the film, regardless of quality - it's only a brief scene but it's an important one I feel. It's not like Army Of Darkness when there's 15 mins of shoddy quality and iffy content crowbarred in for completion.